Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spindle sander?????

Owner of the Ridgid one and it's a good "spindle" sander, the belt is Ok but not that good. It's not going to give you a perfectly flat edge and 90 degree (like for glue joint) as the surface beneath the belt isn't very flat. Learned it the hard way a couple of times before I stopped using it for precise work.
    I use the spindle version mostly and will get a larger edge sander.

I have the HF. It's a lot more solid and substantial than I expected and it fills my limited spindle sander needs just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by mreza Salav View Post
    Owner of the Ridgid one and it's a good "spindle" sander, the belt is Ok but not that good. It's not going to give you a perfectly flat edge and 90 degree (like for glue joint) as the surface beneath the belt isn't very flat. Learned it the hard way a couple of times before I stopped using it for precise work.
    Interesting.

While I could see what you mean, I cannibalized an OEM miter gauge from another tool, put a fat dado in some scrap mahogany, to allow it to fit the Ridgid's slot properly, then glued the miter gauge's bar into the dado.

It's now a very straight, well-fitting miter gauge ... with a truly elegant piece of mahogany

Now ... when I need a sharp, flat, edge, I use the miter gauge, and do NOT push it hard against the belt.

So far ... it's worked pretty darned well ... according to my engineer's square, and the applications in which I've attached the sanded stock.

Not to sound like a broken record, but here's another vote for the Ridgid. I love mine. Whatever you do, try to get a second set of sleeves in a higher grit. The 60 grit that came with my Ridgid is great for aggressive removal but 100 or 120 grit would be better for "sneaking" up on it.
    Last edited by Mike Zilis; 03-20-2010 at 3:11 PM. Reason: poor spelling

Quote Originally Posted by mreza Salav View Post
    Mine is flat, I did have to adjust the table to the belt. I use it all the time to shorten up a miter joint.

Can't say enough about the Rigid sander. I'm actually using the belt more than the spindle. Also it takes standard 4 x 24 belts so you can use a variety of grits.

so I take it I should get the ridgid... I'm going to go drool over one and see if I want to pull the trigger.

Thanks for all the input guys.
    This out pouring of personal reviews is why I love this site, As always I'll post with my final decision, and pics of the sander in my shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Huber View Post
    Mine is flat, I did have to adjust the table to the belt. I use it all the time to shorten up a miter joint.
    I know the table is adjustable.
    Here is one thing to try: join two 10" or so edges on the jointer first (making sure they are glue ready). Then sand them on the sander a bit and try to join them again. If you still get perfect fit then maybe mine is a bad unit (although I have heard from a few others experiencing the same thing).

Quote Originally Posted by tyler mckee View Post
    Whatever you do don't put the ridgid in the back of your truck and forget to close the tailgate, it held up very well, only broke a small plastic guide for the edge sander and bent the shaft. Mine still works but i can't the vibration out of it, need to bite the bullet and get a new one. It's a great tool, mine has the belt on it 98% of the time.
    Hey! You the same dumm....er....I mean gentleman that wrapped his Grizzly TS around a tree?? LOL

+20 or 21 to the Ridgid. Though I have a real tough time getting the belt mechanism off when I do rarely have to use the spindle.
    Last edited by Brian Penning; 03-20-2010 at 9:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I bought the Ridgid as so many folks here have liked it. I am very glad I did because I learned that I use the belt much more than the spindle and would never have known that. It has been a great little machine for the money and I would recommend it. I believe like myself and others, you may find the spindle great to have but, the belt is quite useful.
    I agree completely. I bought the Ridgid to sand curved valances and toekicks, and have found the belt to be more useful than the spindles. It's a very well designed and executed machine, and I think it's a great deal at 199. Just used the spindle yesterday to hog out the bottom of a TS insert before installing leveling screws.

If you want to stay in that price range the Rigid is an excellent machine for the price. You want want to look at the Grizzly spindle/ 12" disc combo machine if you want to spend more.

Ridgid Aint Wrong...