Thread: Quartersawn White Oak Source in Denver Area?

Quartersawn White Oak Source in Denver Area?

I am going to be in the Denver area in a couple of weeks, if it ever stops snowing up there. Do any of you locals have a vendor that you recommend for good quality Quartersawn White Oak at a fair price? I will be between Colorado Springs and Fort Collins, so anywhere in between would be fine. Shorts would also be fine as I am making some small tables.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

Bill

Hardwood Lumber in Denver

I buy my lumber from Paxtons in East Denver - made two morris chairs with QS White oak from them

As John said, Paxton's is a good stop. They have a very nice selection of nearly any species (domestic and exotic), so it's a fun place to just look around. Their prices are not "great", but fair. I think the QSWO might cost you $5-$10/bf.

There is a place called Austin Hardwoods, but I've never been fond of them.

I've heard that there's a place called Sears Trostel in Ft. Collins which is reportedly very good, but I've never been there.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post
    I've heard that there's a place called Sears Trostel in Ft. Collins which is reportedly very good, but I've never been there.
    They ARE very good.

I haven't been there in a few weeks, so I can't speak to their stock of QSWO, but ... they're a well-run shop with a fairly sizable inventory.

Always worth a look, if you're going to be out this way, anyway.....

Their website

Sorry about the weather

Woodcraft - Denver, CO Centennial CO (6 miles) Rockler Woodworking and Hardware #3 Denver CO (12 miles) Frank Paxton Lumber Company - Woodcrafter's Store Denver CO (16 miles) Woodcraft - Colorado Springs, CO Colorado Springs CO (45 miles) Crafted Wood Colorado Springs CO (51 miles) Woodcraft - Loveland, CO Loveland CO (69 miles) Collector's Specialty Woods (CSWoods) Gardner CO (127 miles) Colorado Barnwood Crested Butte CO (128 miles)

Personally, I love Austin Hardwoods (http://www.austinhardwoods.com/). I think they have way better prices than Paxton.

Also check out the Hardwood emporium (303-277-1488) or Centennial Wood Co (303-778-6209).

However, if I were driving from NM, I would absolutely swing by CSWoods.com.

A dumb question for you, Philip: Where does Austin's keep the hardwood? I saw they had S4S in the store, and I wandered out to a warehouse full of plywood, but never saw all that hardwood they have listed on their website.

Dan,
    Austin has a few warehouses. The one just north of the showroom is their sheet goods warehouse. If you don't find what you are looking for, just ask at the counter or one of the yard crew and they'll direct you. What they have in the retail section is a small sampling of what they carry.

FWIW, I find that Hardwood Emporium typically has the best pricing in the area and has good quality stock. I'd call ahead and ask Jay if he has QSWO. If he has enough lead time he can bring it in if he doesn't have it on hand.

Paxtons also has monthly specials on one or two species of wood that is usually a good deal.

You can also try Consolidated Hardwoods in Broomfield in addition to the others mentioned here.

Thank you all.

I appreciate your taking the time to answer. I am sure I can find what I need amonth those choices.

Bill

I can't vouch for the Denver stores, but another thumbs up for Sears-Trostel. I was just there this morning to pick up some DC parts, but didn't peak at the QSWO stock. Sometimes their stock runs low, so It would be worth a call before you made the extra effort to come up from Denver.
    A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where fifty-one percent of the people may take away the rights of the other forty-nine. - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post
    Definitely give Sears Trostel a call. They are a very good source. We are lucky to have such a gem available in our locality.

I get my wood at the Hardwod Emporium (which actually is in Golden). I'd call ahead, because I hvae been there once or twice when he was awaiting a new shipment, and things were a little sparse, but when the shipments come in, he's go a lot of nice wood, and good prices, too.

I buy from both Hardwood Emporium and Austins. I have also purchased from Paxtons but I think the prices are higher.

However, as far as customer service, I put them in this order.

1. Hardwood Emporium
    2. Paxtons
    3. Austins

-Sue

Austin only stocks a few exotics in their store. You need to walk in to their main warehouse. If you saw the sheet goods, you were in the right place... just needed to walk in a little further.
    As another poster had mentioned, you can also ask at the counter if you cannot find what you are looking for. They have a bunch of storage units that house all of their other stuff. Check their website, they stock everything listed... if you do not like what you see, ask them to pull another pallet for you.