Thread: Router suggestion for the Leigh Super FMT

Router suggestion for the Leigh Super FMT

What router do you or would you recommend as a dedicated one for this jig?

I use a Bosch 1617 in my reg FMT. It uses the bars to munt to the FMT and it works good.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I've used the Bosch 1617 and 1619, but I actually prefer the Festool 1400. It's a lot easier to align to the base, plus you can use the dust collection on the router and the FMT for near dust free routing--you will need two vacuums for this idea.
    Last edited by Dave Mendoza; 03-20-2010 at 4:32 PM. Reason: misspellings

I use a Bosch 1613EVS on my FMT. If you do a lot of M&T, this gets a bit heavy. Lighter is definitely good.

I use a dewalt 625 with a woodrat plunge bar
    (chipsflydotcom no affiliation). One handed plunge for the router to free up your other hand to move the router across the work. It works great.

Have a PC 690 on it since I had a couple of motors and bases. Don't think you need any more power than that, but any router with smoother plunge action would be better.

Thought about the woodrat bar to improve things. Do they still sell in the US?

Rich

I use a Bosch 1617EVS on my FMT Pro. I have two of the Bosch routers, so I mounted one of the plunge bases on the FMT and it stays there. I like the plunge action of the Bosch, but as others have said, any router with a good plunge action will probably do. I would suggest going with a 2-1/4 HP model, especially if you use hardwoods for your M&T projects. A 3 HP router might be too heavy when making a lot of M&Ts and I think that a 1-3/4 HP router would tend to struggle at times in dense woods.

Smile

I too use a Bosch 1617EVS on my FMT Pro. Works great.

I would like a better way to control the chips and dust. If I do a lot of m&t, the shop is a mess.

+1 on better chip and dust control. This is the only gripe I have with the FMT Pro. I haven't figured out a good way to control it. Maybe a large dust hood placed behind the jig hooked up to my DC.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Vogel View Post
    I too use a Bosch 1617EVS on my FMT Pro. Works great.

I would like a better way to control the chips and dust. If I do a lot of m&t, the shop is a mess.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Tesoroni View Post
    Have a PC 690 on it since I had a couple of motors and bases. Don't think you need any more power than that, but any router with smoother plunge action would be better.
    +1 on Rich's thoughts. I also have an old PC 690 plunge setup on mine and it is a bit "coarse" in it's up and down movements. Probably doesn't matter much in the final result, but Ideally, I'd use a small DeWalt, 2HP plunge with build in dust collection. I have one of those but don't want to dedicate it to the Leigh.

Regards,

John

PC 690 is OK; some issues with it

I have a Porter Cable 690 mounted on a Leight Super FMT. The disadvantage is that the FMT's standard positioning hardware doesn't work for the PC. So the base has to be put on with screws. It's not hard to do but you then have to unscrew it and getting it realigned perfectly when it's reinstalled is a potential chore.

I'm thinking about buying a Bosch 1617 to resolve this problem, as it can be attached using the quick release hardware Leigh supplies.

Another possibility is a DeWalt 618, which has dust collection through the handle and can be attached using the Leigh quick release hardware. Dust collection with the Leigh accessory shroud is a C+ to B- at best. I think the DeWalt handle would improve it. (You'd need a second vacuum I can attach to the handle.)
    Last edited by Mike Sandman; 03-22-2010 at 9:59 PM. Reason: fixed typo

I have a bunch of Dewalt 618s and I find them too "sloppy" for precision set ups. I like the PC 895 a lot better for those jobs that need accuracy.