Thread: A chuck question

A chuck question

I am thinking about picking up a chuck for my 10ER Shopsmith. Woodcraft has the Nova Midi chuck listed in the flyer at $79.99 The Shopsmith uses a 5/8" shaft so an adapter would be needed as well. I am thinking that this might be good enough for most of the capabilities of the lathe. I have a $30 gift card coming so I'm thinking this might be a no-brainer. Basically I'd be looking at $50 plus the adapter.

The chuck. http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/208...-header-150305

Opinions?
    "If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy" -Red Green

From your post, it gives me the impression that upgrading your lathe may be in your future.
    If that's the case, I would suggest you consider a chuck that is not direct threaded (such as G3 or SN2). Instead of getting an adapter to fit the Shopsmith, you get an insert to fit. Then you will have more flexibility in lathe spindle sizes (1" X 8 or 1-1/4" x 8). When you upgrade, you just swap out the insert.
    I am not a fan of spindle adapter. It may introduce run out and sticking out the chuck further out from the headstock is not good.
    Gordon

Bad News

The link shows a chuck with body threaded for a 1"x8tpi spindle---no adapter used.
    Other chucks in the Nova line do use spindle adapters capable of mounting on your Shopsmith.
    Look at the SuperNova2, also on special at WC this month---$119. If it doesn't come with the adapter of your choice in the price, Lee Valley has the Technatool 5/8" adapter for $16.60 (check under specials & clearance items/Technatool).
    There has been some discussion in this forum about off-brand spindle adapters not working properly with Nova chucks because they are not as long as the genuine Technatool adapters. Caveat emptor.

BobV

I don't know much about that chuck specifically, but I agree with the others that you are better off buying a chuck with inserts than a spindle adaptor. I recently upgraded lathes which changed my spindle size... All I had to purchase was a new insert for the Talon chuck I use, and I was set to turn.

Ok thanks guys. Upgrading the lathe at some will happen but not in the foreseeable future I'm sorry to say. Its been converted to DC variable speed and for the most part is an excellent tool.

Someday maybe I'll be able to join the ranks of Delta force or the Mustard brigade.
    "If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy" -Red Green

Matt, I used the nova midi on my shopsmith for several years. It is a good fit for the SS or 10er. I believe I got my SS adapter at "the wooden post". Good vendor with quick shipping...Bill..

But how much is the adapter going to cost? The combination will probably end up higher than a SN2, which would be much more versatile in the long run. A SN2 from Woodcraft plus the 5/8 insert from LeeValley is $135. If you picked a G3 instead of the SN2, that would drop another $30 or so. Nothing wrong with the Midi chuck, but it never really seems like a cost-effective choice.

Matt, The $99 Grizzly chuck comes with the insert (just pick the model number that has your spindle thread) and is considered a good value per $ by those who own one or more of them (self included). When you get a different lathe (as I did) you can order an insert to fit for $20+. In fact the 1-1/4 - 8 insert was not listed, but when I called tech service they managed to find one for me.
    Richard in Wimberley

Matt,

I have one of these chucks that came with a Jet mini. I use it with a 1 1/4" adapter on my Powermatic for small items, and am considerint buying one of the Woodcraft deals to get an additional chuck with the additional jaws at the $79. It is a good chuck if you can work the bars (really not that difficult on small items). Multiple chucks so you don't have to change jaws are nice, and sometimes you want to leave something in a chuck and work on another piece needing a chuck. I do not have problems with the PSI or Jet 1 1/4" x 1 adapters so think you can find a decent adapter to work with the 1" on your shopsmith.

I have 4 of the grizzly chucks and for the money they can't be beat. They are a clone of the Vicmarc VM100 and the jaws will fit the grizzly.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Easy to make

Matt, I have made many adapters for different sizes of theads. So what I would do is buy a chuck with a 1"x8TPI and make an adapter to go from the 5/8" shaft on the Shopsmith to the 1x8 thread. Send me a PM and we can figure something out.

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

CSUSA and PSI have adapters to fit the MIDI to your SS. You just need to pick up a 1X8 TPI to SS adapter. The MIDI is only 1X8, so you have no choice. The good news it that same adapter will allow you to use more things on your SS. I would go for the SN2, though. More cost effective. The MIDI is a rather smallish chuck, tommy bars. Since you can't (I cannot lock my SS) lock the spindle, the MIDI requires 2 hands. The G3 or SN2 are 1 handed.