Thread: Table Saw Extension Wing for Router

Table Saw Extension Wing for Router

I was able to squeeze the General Contractor Saw (with 52" fence) into my 1 car garage workshop. I am trying to organize the shop and the router table is next on the list. I was thinking of attempting to build one, but I came across the Bench Dog cast iron extension wing (40-031). Has anyone used this item? If yes, how does it hold up when compared to a dedicated router table. I really like the idea of a dedicated router station (from the aspect of the drawers for storage), but my shop is very small and a table saw mounted router looks promising.[FONT=Arial]

Anything that BenchDog makes is very well engineered and usually quite awesome. I've seen the wing and it's really nice. About the only negative of this kind of thing is that the router isn't boxed in so chips will fly...but that's often something that is fine when the primary reason for the arrangement is space conservation. You may also be able to rig up a box/container under the wing to deal with the dust collection situation.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Dell'Anno
    I was able to squeeze the General Contractor Saw (with 52" fence) into my 1 car garage workshop.
    Paul,

I'd like to belive you, I really would.

But the rules are the rules, and the rules say if you don't have a pic, you don't have a General Contractor Saw in your shop.

Sorry.

Please let us know as soon as you actually get one in there.
    ---------------------------------------
    James Krenov says that "the craftsman lives in a
    condition where the size of his public is almost in
    inverse proportion to the quality of his work."
    (James Krenov, A Cabinetmaker's Notebook, 1976.)

I guess my public must be pretty huge then.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom LaRussa
    Paul,

I'd like to belive you, I really would.

But the rules are the rules, and the rules say if you don't have a pic, you don't have a General Contractor Saw in your shop.

Sorry.

Please let us know as soon as you actually get one in there.
    Hey Tom, you're doing a better job at policing this place for pics than our "official" cops!

Congrats on the new saw (alleged saw, that is!), Paul. As for the router extension, I'd agree with Jim, though I've never used the specific one from Bench Dog. I did have one on my previous CS, which believe it or not, came from Harbor Freight! Actually did an admirable job, though, as Jim mentions, chip collection can be a pain. What I did do on mine is setup 4" dust collection on the table's surface, right at the bit. That helped immensely. Oh, and don't forget the pics....
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

The BenchDog wing is a very new product, so it is unlikely to be many folks who have one. I'd certainly consider it if I needed to locate a router on my saw...and had a saw that could use it. My left-tilt CS cannot due to the motor cover's position on the left side of the cabinet.

I have the left wing router table on my Jet contractors saw, but wish they would have had the cast iron one back then. With that, I really like this unit. Instructions were very good and customer service was great. It is a great space saver in a small shop. As noted dust collection is a drawback, but with a shop vac attached to the dust port on the fence, I get 80%-90% of the dust, unless its a buried cut like a dado. I'm trying to figure out a way to build a lightweight box to go under the wing. If the cast iron wing lives up to their standard, then it will be a great addition.

Paul, I've been looking at these myself, but I haven't been able to find a place that actually has any in stock. Amazon is backordered, and the Benchdog websit says they are out of stock until late november.
    If you can find one somewhere, please post your opinion and some pics!
    When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.
    Henry J. Kaiser

I have the older model Benchdog saw mounted router table with one of their lifts. It is really works well and does save room. I think that the new one looks even better. Good luck.
    Old age can be better than the alternative.

Here is my answer to the same question as to room. Although I am able to leave my set up in place, you could do the same type of thing and put it on a mobile base.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Paul,
    I bought one of the BenchDog extensions from Amazon, and got it VERY fast....like within 5 days. I think that back log is kind of a safty net for them, and that it does not ALWAYS apply. Having said that, the router extension is the most solid jam up piece of equipment. You will be pleased with it.

Make sure you order from Amazon when they have some coupon special, like $25 off orders of $150 or more, and get th free shipping. Makes it VERY worthwhile.

Maurice