Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fireplace Mantel Job

Fireplace Mantel Job

I picked up a fireplace mantel job a few weeks ago and finally got some time to work on it. I still have to install it. It seems like a very simple design, but man all those miters takes forever. Good thing is that since the client is remodeling a condo and I don't have to finish it, just install it. The blue tape is holding the small trim pieces that will get set once the tile is in place. The matel is made from red oak. Neat thing is it was purchased for $1/bdft, so I figure I have about $50 in materials.

1) Pic is a wide angle of the entire fireplace
    2) Pic is a closer shot of detail
    3) Pic is an even closer shot of the mitered and routed detail

Enjoy.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Scott Coffelt; 11-07-2004 at 8:23 PM.
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs

Scott -

You did a very nice job! Good design, layout, lines, etc. Very well executed!

Now, you gotta hope they don't just paint it.

Regards,
    Ted

Nice job, did you make the moulding yourself?

I made everything but the crown molding.
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Shrader
    Scott -

You did a very nice job! Good design, layout, lines, etc. Very well executed!

Now, you gotta hope they don't just paint it.

Regards,
    Ted
    The client will be having it stain matched to the cabinets and trim in the condo. We had that discussion early on when determining the material needs. I could have had all the staining, but it would have required me to sand down all the base molding, interior doors, kitchen and bathroom cabinet doors and the staining all the trim, incluing new windows and doors. I said no to that and yes just to the mantel. In the end I was able to still make it for about $150 less then one she was looking at in the store, but still made out very well.

Funny thing is some dufus walked out on the whole remodeling job (typical worthless contractor who gives good contractors a bad rap) with a poor sheet rock job. He was going to make it with oak vaneer over pine, how he planed to do that and still make it look good is beyond me. This baby is solid oak through and through.
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs

Wow when did you do that.

Dang Scott, when did you build that? Looks great. Did you knock that out in a day??
    If at 1st you don't succeed, go back to the lumberyard and get some more wood.

Nicely done, Scott. Heck, I'd be happy not to have to do the staining on a project like that. What, with all those moldings, it can get a might tedious. Great looking mantel!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Very nice, Scott. I would like that mantel in my den. Nice design!
    Big Mike

I have done so much with so little for so long I am now qualified to do anything with nothing......

P.S. If you are interested in plans for any project that I post, just put some money in an envelope and mail it to me and I will keep it.

Jack, I started it last weekend, but due to my small shop and the fact I hadn't delivered the chair at that point I was stepping over crud. I had basically finished one side at that point. So Saturday and Sunday, in between replacing rotten wood trim on the house, I was able to work on it. I have about 12-14 hours in the project so far.

John, I am with you on the staining, it will be a job for someone.

Michael, if you want to get something to base it off of for general sizes you can search for the "Plymouth Mantel" on a site called Complete Home Concepts. This is where the client found the original design she wanted. Of course it didn't have all the details and i had some creativity interjected.
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs

Very nice looking piece, Scott!! Did you design it yourself?

Keith

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Coffelt
    I made everything but the crown molding.
    Ah come on Scott. I am sure that with a few dozen jigs, half dozen different router bits you could have made your own....

One nice looking mantel. Your miters look very tight.
    If sawdust were gold, I'd be rich!

Byron Trantham
    Fredericksburg, VA
    WUD WKR1

Outstanding, Scott. That's a very attractive mantle piece...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Byron Trantham
    Ah come on Scott. I am sure that with a few dozen jigs, half dozen different router bits you could have made your own....

One nice looking mantel. Your miters look very tight.
    If I had a molder, I might think about it but since I don't use standard crown too often I'll wait. Though I like the idea of a new tool. Of course I think I want (NEED) to buy a pinner for installing the small trim.

Joints on the crown are so tight, they squeek when they walk. The others are pretty good, except for one (couldn't get it tight for the life of me for some reason). The new Delta CMS I bought was not allowing me to get perfect 45's and 90's at the same time. I need to place a call to Delta support to figure out why. So after farting around with them for about 2 hours, I broke out the old Dewalt CMS... perfect miters everytime. Think I'll keep both... unless the Delta continues to be a pain and in that case it won't be any good if not accurate at all angles.

Design, I started with a design the client found where she bought the F/P insert. I have some slight variations, mainly in the router profiles and a few other spots. But more so with the sizing, mine is custom fit into the space. I was actually able to make it cheaper ($100 less) then she could buy form the store and still make good money. So we both benefited.
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs

Nice work, Scott. It would look good with a certain walnut bowl on top of it....
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Like that's gonna happen...
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs