Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Color Fill vs LaserLights on Acrylic

I don't like painting. In my opinion it's too time consuming and hard to get right. If you get it wrong, it's hard to fix the mistake.

Why not just apply black vinyl on the back of the acrylic? Or, cut some black plastic and insert that into the acrylic? Both will achieve the same result. It will cost a bit more in materials but save a lot of time.

Every time I attempt to paint, I'm frustrated by the result. I know I can do it, but is it really worth the time and the effort when so many options are out there that look just as nice and don't cause me a headache?
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving

Well I think I'm going to give up on color filling. I tried another piece with blue Krylon Fusion spray paint. I also change the settings slightly, 100 power, 30 speed. It still didn't come out right. Ugh! I cut out letters using LaserLights and applied them on the acrylic instead, came out much better. Now I'm trying to figure out what to charge...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Liesl,

Are you sure any dust from the engraving process was removed from the etched area? The paint will attach itself to any junk left over and eventually fall out.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

In this case vinyl letters will be cheaper than LaserLights. And with vinyl will be possibility apply from back side of acryl if necessary.
    But be honest, I always have quality problems when working with paints May be my hands grew slightly not from proper place
    Last edited by Viktor Voroncov; 03-22-2010 at 3:01 PM.
    GCC Dealer in Baltic countries

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    Liesl,

Are you sure any dust from the engraving process was removed from the etched area? The paint will attach itself to any junk left over and eventually fall out.
    I can't guarantee it but I did use a vacuum with a brush attached to it and went over it a few times. I also used a damp paper towel and tried to clean out any remaining residue. It looked clean but after I spray painted it and let it dry, it the paint in the letters appeared to be cracked.

I have a feeling paint-filling isn't all it's "cracked" up to be, lol!

I wish I could use vinyl letters but we aren't a sign shop and don't have a vinyl plotter.

Paint filling is a snap if you use a flood fill method without a mask , however large area paint filling is not quite as easy and you have started off with a large area fill.
    The key is to use methylated spirits as clean up as it does not ruin the sheen of the paint in large letters and wont scoop away the paint in the middle like thinners will,
    You can also try black gilders paste (like rub n buff) and use turps to remove excess , this will also work.
    Best acrylic for back filling is extruded and not cast as it engraves clear and not frosted
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

I do alot of color filling with spray paints/airbrush. I have tried using actual color fill from lasterbits and I hate the results.

Like everyone has said above, making sure the surface is clean from dust is a must.

When I engrave and plant to paint fill. I use the Green painter's tape (scotch brand). I mask the entire engraving area and make sure its pressed firmly down(textured material) and engrave through the paint and into the material. The tape also allows me to do a very light engraving on the tape only to make sure I have everything positioned.

after painting I remove the tape and clean up with a dry tooth brush

Our machine is mostly used for engraving things into radio housings, so 80 percent of the time, I am engraving into plastic and paint filling.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodne Gold View Post
    With those solvents you almost sure to have issues.
    We flood fill the engraving with automotive paint , undiluted.
    Rodney, is your automotive paint water-based? (We don't have any of that here.) When I flooded the engraving with our automotive paint I got stress cracks.
    Last edited by John Noell; 04-14-2010 at 11:42 PM.
    Longtai 460 with 100 watt EFR, mostly for fun. More power is good!! And a shop with enough wood working tools to make a lot of sawdust. Ex-owner of Shenhui 460-80 and engraving business with 45 watt Epilog Mini18.

I use water based for clear acrylic and normal for coloured when filling , I use mainly cast so stress cracking is not so much of an issue.
    I often do this as well if I need colour and small reverse frosted engraving : Apply coloured vinyl and kiss cut with the laser , engrave the frosted bits and weed away the vinyl for the "colour" fill.
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher