Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Junior's Holdfasts

Blog Entries
    On the back, the rail is directly below the dog holes, on the front the holdfast will bump the rail slightly, and in each instance, figuring a 3/4 inch board under the holdfast, 1 1/2 inch shorter will do nicely, but 1 3/4 inch would give you some slack for thinner stock.
    My practice is to put a piece of scrap 2X3 on edge between the hold fast and the stock being held. This elevates the hold fast a little an makes it an easier target when hitting it with a mallet to remove.

jim
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Personally, I think I'll be happy with "regular" length. It's a lot easier to cut it off than it is to whip out the torch and put it back on....

...not that I have a tip that will do 1" steal, mind you.

Right on Jim, I keep a small container with small scraps of several different sizes/thickness's handy to use under the holdfast working end instead of leather.
    Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

Is there a picture of the hold downs Junior made? Pat

This thread has several pics of Jr's holdfasts and a brief review of them that I wrote up.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...oldfast&page=3
    "History is strewn with the wrecks of nations which have gained a little progressiveness at the cost of a great deal of hard manliness, and have thus prepared themselves for destruction as soon as the movements of the world gave a chance for it." -Walter Bagehot

Quote Originally Posted by harry strasil View Post
    I have 2 more unclaimed pairs of holdfasts for 1inch holes made if anyone is interested.

$45 a pair + $12 priority mail and handling.
    Where do I send the moola and how?

/p