Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Table saw guard with dust collection

Table saw guard with dust collection

I have a Uniguard on my Unisaw, but the lack of dust collection keeps me looking for alternatives. I am specifically interested in overarm guards. Which guard has the best dust collection?

Also, I will likely be upgrading to a Sawstop, I am assuming I can use the same guard on that saw as well.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Frank Martin; 03-22-2010 at 1:21 AM.

Check the Sharkguard.

I had an Excalibur on my saw, it's a good guard because it can be used for non through cuts, and has good dust collection.

The Shark Guard isn't capable of being used on non through cuts.

Regards, Rod.

I'm with Rod, I have an Excalibur and it has great DC and it easily swings out of the way when you need the air-space.

I have a sharkguard and I am quite impressed. I can also vouch for the customer service you get from Lee (who makes the sharkguard). I had a problem with mine that was largely due to operator error and Lee really stepped up and made me happy.

It is true that the sharkguard doesn't work for non-through cuts. However, you pay a lot less for the sharkguard then the overarm types and I have not had a problem with dust collection on a non-through cut. When you are doing a dado cut, all the chips fly into the cabinet anyway so collecting from underneath is reasonable. If you are doing tenon cuts where the end of the workpiece is exposed, you do get some chips flying here. I am not sure if the overarm guard catches these or not.

Another option is if your ceiling is reasonably low and your tablesaw stays put, you can attach an overarm guard from above. And probably for a lot cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Reece View Post
    I have a sharkguard and I am quite impressed. I can also vouch for the customer service you get from Lee (who makes the sharkguard). I had a problem with mine that was largely due to operator error and Lee really stepped up and made me happy.

It is true that the sharkguard doesn't work for non-through cuts. However, you pay a lot less for the sharkguard then the overarm types and I have not had a problem with dust collection on a non-through cut. When you are doing a dado cut, all the chips fly into the cabinet anyway so collecting from underneath is reasonable. If you are doing tenon cuts where the end of the workpiece is exposed, you do get some chips flying here. I am not sure if the overarm guard catches these or not.

Another option is if your ceiling is reasonably low and your tablesaw stays put, you can attach an overarm guard from above. And probably for a lot cheaper.
    An over-head gaurd is not effective on either dadoes which you mentioned as the entire blade and slot is covered by the stock and it is not effective using a tenoning jig as the gaurd has to be raised to far above the cut even on a short strecher being tenoned.

So.. both the Shark Gaurd and over-head get dust to about the same degree IMO having used both. I prefer the Shark Gaurd as I build my own but both have pro's and con's. Nothing is perfect I would think when working in an enviroment where there are multi-function task being performed.
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

Quote Originally Posted by John Thompson View Post
    An over-head gaurd is not effective on either dadoes which you mentioned as the entire blade and slot is covered by the stock and it is not effective using a tenoning jig as the gaurd has to be raised to far above the cut even on a short strecher being tenoned.

So.. both the Shark Gaurd and over-head get dust to about the same degree IMO having used both. I prefer the Shark Gaurd as I build my own but both have pro's and con's. Nothing is perfect I would think when working in an enviroment where there are multi-function task being performed.
    Hi John, your comments on the dust collection when using a dado blade are accurate, however it wasn't my concern with the overarm guard versus the Shark guard.

My concern with the Shark guard was that it couldn't be used, so you had an un-guarded dado blade on the saw.

That was my concern, not the dust collection.

Regards, Rod.

P.S. I stopped using a tenon jig on the table saw for the same reason, I couldn't come up with an effective guard. I now make them on the shaper.
    Last edited by Rod Sheridan; 03-22-2010 at 11:04 AM. Reason: Added Post Script

Blog Entries
    John pretty much nails it. Non-through cuts get no benefit from an overarm and mine is swung out of the way more often than not as I generally am doing narrow rips, cross cuts, miter work or sled cuts. The overarm isn't suitable for any of this type of work IMHO. For panel cuts I use a PSI overarm which does a great job connected to a 2HP cyclone. The Excalibur offers a larger air path and is bigger. If I did a lot of sheet goods work and used the overarm most of the time I would seriously look at the Excalibur. For the 10% of the time I use it, the PSI is a solid performer. Any overarm will require adequate "suck" to do a good job.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    John pretty much nails it. Non-through cuts get no benefit from an overarm and mine is swung out of the way more often than not as I generally am doing narrow rips, cross cuts, miter work or sled cuts. The overarm isn't suitable for any of this type of work IMHO. For panel cuts I use a PSI overarm which does a great job connected to a 2HP cyclone. The Excalibur offers a larger air path and is bigger. If I did a lot of sheet goods work and used the overarm most of the time I would seriously look at the Excalibur. For the 10% of the time I use it, the PSI is a solid performer. Any overarm will require adequate "suck" to do a good job.
    Glenn, isn't having the blade guarded a benefit when performing non through cuts?

Regards, Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Glenn, isn't having the blade guarded a benefit when performing non through cuts?

Regards, Rod.
    I second this, with the references lately to people getting bumped into running saws and the ever present danger of inattention doesn't it make the most sense to have the blade covered whenever feasible. So before the piece hits the blade and after, even if it's a non-through cut it seems to me it would be useful to not have spinning sharp things uncovered when it's reasonable to avoid it.

FWIW I don't have a decent guard at all so take this with a grain of salt of course, but it is on my list of "to gets". And I use the one I have when I can. I just know I'd feel better if that was more often.

I've got an overarm guard now--Biesemeyer myself. Its generally good, has great DC when used with a vac (not so great with a DC since the hose is small) and works for most cuts. But the overarm gets in the way when using my extenion table mounted router for tall items (for example when trimming edging with a flush trim bit on a shelf) and precludes me from easily upgrading to a larger fence because Biese guards are sized to the fence. After trying out a friend's Shark guard, I'll probably someday upgrade to that. You still need to run the hose overhead, but it can be flexible and easily pushed out of the way.

I installed the PSI overhead guard and dust collection system several months ago. You can see it here in my shop tour on my non-commercial website.
    Last edited by Bill Arnold; 03-22-2010 at 1:56 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Bill Arnold
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa
    Live every day like it's your last, but don't forget to stop and smell the roses.

Hi Frank,

If you're planning to get a sawstop soon, don't waste your money on a blade guard now. The PCS has incredible dust collection. I just set mine up yesterday... I cut a bunch of MDF and couldn't smell or see any sawdust. It's really amazing. If you're getting the ICS or the CNS, sawstop is planning to sell the dust collecting blade guard as an accessory for those saws in the near future (per their customer service department).

It's true that you can't use the PCS blade guard while making non through cuts. But as discussed, the dust collection on an overarm guard is useless for non through cuts, so the only benefit is the fact that you get protection from the blade. Since your new saw will be a sawstop, the safety issue is much less of a concern.

So don't waste your money on an overarm guard!

The Excalibur design lifts off the table, when needed.

How do you like it. Is it effective?

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Arnold View Post
    I installed the PSI overhead guard and dust collection system several months ago. You can see it here in my shop tour on my non-commercial website.