Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I Need help finding a plan for this octagonal rotating hardware store screw cabinet

I Need help finding a plan for this octagonal rotating hardware store screw cabinet

I'm sure one of the magazines did a article on how to build one of these, but I'm hoping someone can help me find it because I can't remember where I saw it.

Thanks Loren
    Attached Images Attached Images

That's a copy of the American Bolt and Screw Case Co. cabinet used in hardware stores for many years. They came in many sizes from small table top cabinets to 5 foot tall cabinets with a 24 drawer base unit and a 72 drawer rotating octogon above. There have been a couple of articles on them, although I can't lay my hands on one at the moment. Something tells me it was in PW, but not postive. It could have been Wood as well. I've been collecting photos and information on them for years. Someday I'll own an original.
    Ross

One of the guys on OWWM.org made one recently and posted a build log in the projects section, you might want to check it out.
    Last edited by Logan William; 03-22-2010 at 9:55 PM.

Thanks for the reply's I still haven't found the article, but at least I now know who made them, and I will look over at OWWM tonight if I get time.
    Any idea as to how much an original countertop model in good shape is worth? I've been trying to buy one from a guy for several years, but he is not interested in selling.

Thanks Loren

Loren,
    The Brown tool auction this weekend has one listed.
    114.jpg

"B-114. POINT OF SALE ITEM. Bolt Cabinet. Eight-sided with ten drawers per side for a total of 80 pie-shaped drawers. All drawers have porcelain knobs and good stenciling. As found and except for some minor base damage OK. Good 1000 - 1500"

Hope this answers your question.
    Mike
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!

$1000-$1500!! Yikes, I guess I'll have to keep digging for that article & build My own.

Thanks for the help everyone
    Loren

I have seen all of the sizes bring ridiculous prices at times. It just takes two bidders at an auction with more money than sense. I have seen the big ones go for $700 to $4000. The small ones sometimes go higher than the big ones because there are more bidders for jewelry cabinets and such.
    Ross

I have one of these and can take some pictures if you like.
    Gentleman Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Holman View Post
    I have one of these and can take some pictures if you like.
    Jim - please do! I am specifically wondering about how the drawers are held in place. I have found some pics online of a few, but not enough of the actual things needed to build one!

Thanks in advance!
    oops ....1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 - yup all there, whew!

The drawers have a single pin in the back corner to keep them from pulling completely out. Otherwise they just slide on wood.
    Ross

Quote Originally Posted by Loren Blount View Post
    Thanks for the reply's I still haven't found the article, but at least I now know who made them, and I will look over at OWWM tonight if I get time.
    Any idea as to how much an original countertop model in good shape is worth? I've been trying to buy one from a guy for several years, but he is not interested in selling.

Thanks Loren
    It's at OWWM.org, in the Projects forum,. listed as Parts Bin completed, about one or two pages back.

When you think about it, 1000 to 1500 doesn't really sound too bad if that is what you want. 10 dollars each for the drawers and a few hundred for the entire case with all that joinery; and then there's the wood. I sure wouldn't build the dang thing for that.
    The lyf so short The craft so long to lerne

How it is built

It is built of a series of horizontal octagonal frames, hollow in the middle. Each frame appears to be about 6" deep and mine are made of poplar with oak facings. Each frame is notched at the intersections so the verticals slide in and mate with them. Notches appear to be about 1/2 the width of both the verticals and the frames so they are flush on the outside. There are 8 long bolts that run from bottom to top and hold the entire assembly. You can just see one of these in the pictures nestled behind one of the verticals. The entire cabinet is suspended on a 3/4" iron pipe let into the base and rotates around it. There is some type of bearing at the top but impossible to see details. The drawers are nailed butt joints. If you need dimensions, let me know.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Gentleman Jim

Jim, thanks for posting the pictures. Anyone know how to stencil or print the design/numbers for the drawer fronts?

Thanks Loren

Quote Originally Posted by Loren Blount View Post
    Jim, thanks for posting the pictures. Anyone know how to stencil or print the design/numbers for the drawer fronts?

Thanks Loren
    Loren - I am going through the build thread on OWWN.org right now and he drew something up and had a screen made from a screen printer. (t-shirt guy I guess) it looks great on his build.

Jim thanks for the photos.

Just a couple of dimensions would be great:

-drawer width and height
    -dimension of wood for horizontals and verticals of the dividers
    -overall dimension of the octagon - either flat to flat or corner to corner

And just one more ? - the way that I understand it, the original has the verticals that slide into to horizontal octagons that have the center cut out - right?

It does not have verticals that have dadoes cut in that have the horizontals slid in towards the center?

Thanks a bunch!
    oops ....1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 - yup all there, whew!