Thread: Exotic Woods of the World

Exotic Woods of the World

I was about to buy some wood from Justin Holden of Exotic Woods of the World in Middleton TN. Has anyone had any experience with him or his company?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Friedman View Post
    I was about to buy some wood from Justin Holden of Exotic Woods of the World in Middleton TN. Has anyone had any experience with him or his company?

Thanks
    I've bought 2 pallets of lumber from him (jatoba and cumaru). Great guy to work with, very honest, timely, and the wood I have received from him has been as described. Understand, I believe he draws on wood from different brokers, so keep that in mind. The prices I received were almost unbelieveable.

Thanks. It sounded almost too good to be true.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Faucett View Post
    Understand, I believe he draws on wood from different brokers, so keep that in mind.
    Homer, I'm not sure what the significance of this is. Is it just that the wood is not well matched for furniture or is there some other reason that's important?

Steve

I bought a pallet of sapele and was very pleased with it. Obvioiusly I would rather see and feel the wood before buying, but his prices (at least on eBay) make up for that.

I bought 300 bdft of Sapele several years ago from him. It was cut very thick for 4/4 but did have some waves in it. I still have about half of it left. I am usually able to get 7/8" finished thickness from it. I was very happy with my dealings with Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Friedman View Post
    Homer, I'm not sure what the significance of this is. Is it just that the wood is not well matched for furniture or is there some other reason that's important?

Steve
    If he gets the wood from several different sources, and you don't see the wood before hand (and if he doesn't either), that is something you should consider. Of the two purchases I made, I saw pictures of one and not the other before purchase. I was happy with both.

Justin's got almost 18000 feedbacks on eBay, with 99.8% positive. He must be doing something right.