Thread: Redwood Raised Planter Box...What Finish?

Redwood Raised Planter Box...What Finish?

I just completed two 4'x8' redwood raised planter boxes that will sit on the ground. I made them from 2"x12" 's for the sides, and 4"x4" posts for the corners. They are to be used for my vegetable garden.

I am wondering what the best finish would be to keep them looking good, and preserving them??

Anyone have anything they have used that they really like? Is there anything I should stay away from?

Thanks,
    "A general dissolution of principles and manners will more surely overthrow the
    liberties of America than the whole force of the common enemy."- Samuel Adams

One possibility is a latex house paint deep base. It has no pigment to speak of, so it goes on white, but dries clear--much like varnish. And it doesn't need to be renewed every year or two like varnish; it should last as long as house paint.

I'll second the deep base house paint with one qualification...

It should be renewed every 2-3 years. The pigment that is not added is what gives the house paint the long life; without the pigment the UV blockers will be used up and it will fail MUCH sooner than the same paint with the opaque pigment added. Opaque pigment is the ultimate UV blocker.

Stay far way from Thompsons water seal.

A qualtiy marine varnish (non-poly) will out perform the exterior paint base; it too will need to be renewed every 4-5 years.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

You might check out TWP for protection. http://www.woodsealants.com/
    Phil in Big D
    The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. Mark Twain

Thanks for the help fellas. All done and looking good!

I'll bet those yellow and red stripes look great.
    Phil in Big D
    The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. Mark Twain

Yes, I have to say it was well worth the additional $50.00 to go with the redwood over the pressure treated wood.

The colors are fantastic!