Thread: Vanity top finish?

Vanity top finish?

I am making a vanity top out of walnut. The people it is for harvested the walnut off of their land and wanted it used in the vanity and top.

What I used on the only other one I did was a two part epoxy that IIRC was called liquid plastic. It came out alright but it was not easy to work with especially on the vertical edges.

What kind of finish would you recommend?

TIA

Toney

I've been reading about wood strip canoes lately, so here's a crazy idea. Has anyone done a kitchen/bath wood top with fiberglass encapsulation the way it's done on canoes? That would be a very interesting project!

I believe I would use a decoupage epoxy. After the top is made, level it and pour the epoxy on it and let it level itself over the entire surface, then trim off the excess run off. Gives you a glass like finish that will withstand most anything and brings out the beauty of the wood as well.
    The lyf so short The craft so long to lerne

Whatever finish you choose (I might use a spar varnish), be sure to apply equal amounts to both sides and also apply finish to the sink cutout edges.

I would look into Wesy SYstem epoxy. It would work great for this application. They say to use spar varnish over the epoxy to protect from the sun but that might not be a problem.

Make sure you listen to what Frank said in the previous post. Also make sure any bare wood on either side is covered. That includes the sink cut out. THe bathroom is a moist environment so you have to make sure nothing is going to move later on.

Quinn