Thread: Japanese Trestle Bench

Japanese Trestle Bench

Has anyone used a Japanese trestle bench? Jim Becker's post about his new Noden (even though he posted it in the wrong forum) has me wondering about which would be more versatile. Any opinions.
    Old age can be better than the alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Robins
    Jim Becker's post about his new Noden (even though he posted it in the wrong forum) has me wondering about which would be more versatile.
    Ouch. Indeed you are correct. Link to the thread here...

Lloyd, are you talking about the very low to the ground trestle bench? If so, it's really suitable if you're using Japanese tools along with a planing beam. While a planing beam can work independently and in conjunction with a western bench, the trestle bench pretty much works as part of a system.

Pam

Pam, this is a bench that for me would be about 33" high. Carl Swensson uses one for his training at Country Worshops. It is basically a large planing beam 4 X 8 X 8' on two very heavy duty leg sets (sawhorses) that are made from 3 X 3 hardwood. The beam is made from a softer wood which supposedly doesn't be come as slick as hardwood. I saw an article on it in the book Bench Tools from Fine WoodWorking. It has stops at one end. You use a 1 X 10 board as the tool rest beside the beam. It would not be a good assembly table, but as a planing beam and a place to saw, cut dovetails and chop mortises, it looks interesting. I just wonder how it works with bad backs. I guess that it is like half of the Lee Valley Bench. I hope that this is understandable.

That's a really cool bench, I like it a lot. I think most assembly should be done on a separate table anyhow, so that's not a true shortcoming imo.

There are however some potential problems with sitting on stock to work it. I built Kingshott's mortising bench, which works great; but sitting on 1" or 2" stock to chop is not what I'd call a delightful experience. Maybe using Carl's position would be better, I'll try it.

As to tool rests, I prefer having most tools behind me, hanging on a wall or whatever, and try to put them away right after use. I suppose that the board holding the tools would be very useful for any number of tasks.

Pam

PS To see this bench and read most of the article, do a search on Amazon with "Carl Swensson bench tools" which takes you to page 21. You get to read 3 pages per search, go back to page 19, zoom in.

For whatever reason I couldn't get pam's search to work so i searched for planing beam and found another nice picture and drawing on p162. I work on a bench something like this but mine is set below knuckle height so I can sit on things to clamp them when morticing. Another technique I've used is a higher bench for layout and planing and a separate set of small and low (18"?) but sturdy saw horses for use when morticing so I can sit and be more comfortable. For a bad back I think bench height is very important - so chuck tradition in favor of comfort.

OK then I went and found the book on my shelf and reread the article. I gotta say that watching Makoto Imai at work really is an inspirational experience. My teacher Jay Van Arsdale was inspired by Imai-san long ago. I've only seen Makoto work a few times at demonstrations but it inspired me too. Many of Jay's students have made those same sawhorses and put a beam or two on top, I have worked on mine ever since. The sawhorses keep multiplying though, I have sets at various heights. They are fun to build and a great practical joinery project. Heck, if you build a few sets you might wind up cutting a timber frame on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Burnard
    Many of Jay's students have made those same sawhorses and put a beam or two on top, I have worked on mine ever since. The sawhorses keep multiplying though, I have sets at various heights. They are fun to build and a great practical joinery project. Heck, if you build a few sets you might wind up cutting a timber frame on them.
    Yup, I made my first set of sawhorses in Jay's class years ago and have used them since. This is where I do my mortising. I dovetailed in a stop towards one end so I can butt the lumber against while mortising. A slightly tapered sliding dovetail is used for this. The stop is removable and I have made a few of various heights. I also use it as a planing beam, when using Japanese planes, by throwing it up on my assembly table. In this case the stop is towards me.

Manny & Dave

Would you post pictures or plans? Sounds like a project I can handle.

Larry, the plans are in The Best of Fine Woodworking's Bench Tools. It is copyrighted material, so I can't send pictures until I get mine built. However, if you want a view of the bench, follow Pam's instructions above and when you get to the page with the book on it, put the cursor on the book. A little popup will come up. Type Carl Swensson in the box, and it will take you to a list of pages that he is on. Look on page 18 for a sketch of the bench and page 19 show the bench. I got my copy from the library. The book is only $11, so I might spring for my own copy. Good luck.