Thread: Need special tool or trick to solve drilling problem.

Need special tool or trick to solve drilling problem.

I built the cabinet pictured below. I didn't drill the mounting plated for the hinges before I glued and nailed the thing together. My hinges and mounting plates are all Salice and they use a euro screw. I have a jig that can position the plate in the proper spot in the cabinet. The problem is predrilling the 5mm hole for the screw. Does anyone know of a way to drill in tight spaces. Or a right angle drill?
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have one of these for just such a sticky wicket. If that's a direction you think you might go, I can give you the drill's dimensions.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=92956

And at the other end of the spectrum:

C12-1.jpg

I have one that looks kinda like this.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=92188

Glen, how much room do you have between the sides of the cabinet and those divider panels? This dimension looks pretty tight from the photo you posted, but maybe someone's got something that will work based on what you give us for the measurement.

http://www.averytools.com/pc-62-26-a...ed-drills.aspx

Left over from my airplane building days. I use it once or twice a year for woodworking stuff, and when I need it boy do I NEED it.

A bit pricey, but small. They have other ones too. You can probably find them cheaper elsewhere. As soon as you put a picture of an airplane on it, the price goes up.

If they are not finished sides drill from the outside in with a block clamped inside to prevent blow out. If you can`t do that I would get mounting plates that take wood screws and a 12" drill bit and angle past the dividers. At a 37mm setback for the plates I think you would be straight enough. Good luck.

I have no more than 4 7/8". I can cut the drill bit so it doesn't protrude so far. I can get away will a hole as small as 3/16" x 1/2" deep and still get the euro screw inserted. I was thinking a right angle dremel attachment but I don't think it will hold a 3/16" bit.

John that little kit you pointed sure would be nice but for $150 dollars I would hand carve the holes with a #11 exacto knife first.

David Prince's is cutting it close on size but might do the trick.
    Last edited by Glen Butler; 03-25-2010 at 9:56 PM.

Really small and inexpensive. I like it.

You can spring for an attachment or a cheapie drill, but in the long run you will find more uses for a right-angle drill than you think.

After 20 years, I still use my 9.6v Makita DA391D RA often! It's great for small jobs in tight places.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Blog Entries
    I have made similar errors and use my Dewalt cordless right angle drill to bail me out. You can also use a pin vise and a drill bit to drill the holes by hand. It takes a while but it can be done.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Murphy View Post
    I like this one, too! I've saved this link for future reference. Thanks for sharing!
    Stephen Edwards
    Hilham, TN 38568

"Build for the joy of it!"