Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Festool MFT 1080 Quick Review

Jim, that's a very nice setup! I need one of those (but my budget might not agree).

Jim,

I realize that this is a very old thread but I came accross it while researching a possible festool purchase. I was wondering if you could give us an update on how you are currently using your MFT now that several years have gone by since your original purchase. Still happy with it? Still using it a lot? i recently purchased the 1010EQ router for use with the standard 55 guiderail. I'm considering ponying up for the MFT at some point although space is a problem. Do you feel that the MFT really enhances your use of the festool saw and router for your work?

Rick

Wow, I thought Jim posted this thread today, I was wondering why it took so long for him to actually get the MFT.

Still Jim, like Richard, I am interested in buying the MFT and would appreciate hearing an update of your opinions.

It's an excellent tool. First, one small disclosure...since I installed the sliding table saw in my shop earlier this year, the MFT is less of a "regular use" tool than it was prior to the S315WS moving in. For space reasons, it's currently folded up and out of the way...but not forgotten in the least as I'll reference below.

That said, "in the shop", the utility of the MFT grew on me relatively quickly. Easy and safe crosscutting, especially of panels, was my primary use in a woodworking environment. I actually left the saw on it nearly full time as I was using it frequently. I also use it with the router a number of times for some very precise groove location, including with repetition of positioning using stops.

Going forward, my MFT gets two new assignments. Firstly, I'll be using it during some of the final installation work in our addition as my "job-site" workstation. (A good way to introduce Festool to some of the tradesman...LOL) And long term, it's going to live in the upstairs of my shop where my lumber racks are moving so I have the ability to use it up there when I need its capability. And since I can easily move it and set it up downstairs, it will be called upon when I want to use it for guided router operations in a "workstation" environment in the main shop.

The MFT isn't for everyone, but it has a huge amount of utility. And for folks who do job-site work, it's a no-brainer if you are using the Festool system. You literally have a high function woodshop with you when you combine the MFT with the rest of the guided tools.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jim,

Thanks for the update. In my travels looking at the MFTs, I was impressed that there wasn't that much difference in size between the 800 and 1080. Both seemed awfully small for working as a horizontal panel saw for full sized plywood sheets. Have you found that the larger MFT was worth the extra expense and space consumption as compared to its smaller brother? If you had to go back in time, would you still get the larger table given all the moving you have planned for it?

Rick

The MFT is not designed to work with full sheets of plywood or other goods, rather you break those down with the guide rail and saw independently of the MFT...and yes, I'm happy I chose the larger unit as it provides more support for longer stock.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    It's an excellent tool. First, one small disclosure...since I installed the sliding table saw in my shop earlier this year, the MFT is less of a "regular use" tool than it was prior to the S315WS moving in. For space reasons, it's currently folded up and out of the way...but not forgotten in the least as I'll reference below.
    Is that a TecnoMax ? (makes the Festool prices look bargain-basement)

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Pavlov View Post
    Is that a TecnoMax ? (makes the Festool prices look bargain-basement)
    Indeed...but it was on sale...
    --

So Jim as someone who owns a table saw and plans on getting a slider in the somewhat distant future, would you say that the MFT + TS75 combo is a good way to tide me over until the slider is in my financial reach?

Also I have another question for you. Do you think it would be better to make an MFT extension for handling full sheets of ply or better to just make a knock down table that is independent of the MFT?

Thanks for the update btw Jim. I really appreciate it.

These are great questions. Hope you don't mind that I reanimated an old thread, Jim. I think the issue for many of us is that we have a hard time envisioning how the MFT really fits into a project workflow. On the surface it looks rather flimsy and limited but so many MFT users wax poetic about how "its changed their woodworking life." I have a few festool tools and would hate to miss out on the revolution of the MFT if it really is such a force multiplier for the already expensive festools I have. On the other hand, its an awfully expensive assembly table with guide rail.

It would be great if we could hear a real-world workflow for a standard piece of furniture (lets say a bookshelf) and how the MFT would fit into that. For purposes of discussion, perhaps we should assume the user doesn't have a high end slider...

My thinking is that the MFT would be tool of choice for crosscutting with the plunge saw, perhaps dadoing for the shelves with a guided router but that ripping stock to width would still be better done on the table saw. Anything else? Would you turn to the MFT for assembly if you had a standard assembly table? Sorry if I am being obtuse...

Rick

If you go to the festoolusa web site, there should be a document or two by Jerry Work on using the MFT. He does go through a full piece of furniture as part of one of them. Interesting read all around.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Grimes View Post
    So Jim as someone who owns a table saw and plans on getting a slider in the somewhat distant future, would you say that the MFT + TS75 combo is a good way to tide me over until the slider is in my financial reach?
    Yes, that would work and you'd have the portable utility going forward, too.

[/quote]Also I have another question for you. Do you think it would be better to make an MFT extension for handling full sheets of ply or better to just make a knock down table that is independent of the MFT? [/quote]

I would want to rip the sheet first at least...the MFT isn't wide enough nor is the standard guide long enough to cross cut a 48" wide piece of material. Just use a guide rail and the saw on a piece of foam board for the rip (or a table saw)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Link View Post
    These are great questions. Hope you don't mind that I reanimated an old thread, Jim. I think the issue for many of us is that we have a hard time envisioning how the MFT really fits into a project workflow. On the surface it looks rather flimsy and limited but so many MFT users wax poetic about how "its changed their woodworking life." I have a few festool tools and would hate to miss out on the revolution of the MFT if it really is such a force multiplier for the already expensive festools I have. On the other hand, its an awfully expensive assembly table with guide rail.

It would be great if we could hear a real-world workflow for a standard piece of furniture (lets say a bookshelf) and how the MFT would fit into that. For purposes of discussion, perhaps we should assume the user doesn't have a high end slider...

My thinking is that the MFT would be tool of choice for crosscutting with the plunge saw, perhaps dadoing for the shelves with a guided router but that ripping stock to width would still be better done on the table saw. Anything else? Would you turn to the MFT for assembly if you had a standard assembly table? Sorry if I am being obtuse...

Rick
    Workflow is basically as I indicated above...rip the sheet using a guided saw or table saw if you're comfortable with that and process all the crosscutting and any adjustments to final dimensions with the guided saw on the MFT. Dados and "cross-grain" rebates can also be done there with a guided router.

The MFT is not flimsy at all. To the contrary, it was designed to withstand portability and job-site use.

I've used mine for "small assembly" but I prefer to leave it set up as the MFT...assembly would require taking off the fence, etc., and subsequent realignment once you put it back on.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Indeed...but it was on sale...
    Welll, if you ever hear of a 70% off sale, let me know, I might be able to swing it ....

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Grimes View Post
    ......Also I have another question for you. Do you think it would be better to make an MFT extension for handling full sheets of ply or better to just make a knock down table that is independent of the MFT?....
    You may want to go through the following thread: (Festool owners group thread topic 684 titled "Homemade MFT Worktop)

.. .and maybe the ultimate "MFT extension:"

http://www.briangray.net/projectdetail.cfm?ProjectID=32
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 09-21-2007 at 4:36 PM. Reason: Removed direct link to another forum - prohibited by TOS