Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New turning tools

Look at http://www.carbidedepot.com/wood-turning.htm and see if these are the round cutters you need. No connection just giving information, your decesion.

Dwight

Quote Originally Posted by Dolan Brown View Post
    Ian, thanks I just ordered a box. Curious as to how they will work on a home made tool.
    Make the tool today with the inserts noted in the post from above. All I can say is WOW!! I was amazed at how fast it will cut wood. I roughed out a small bowl in about 5 minutes and I am a slow turner. The strings of wood were flying over my shoulder. Warning - don't use one without a face shield unless you like wood strings/chips in your face. My total cost in this tools is app. $2.50.

Thanks again for the info.

Question on using these tools...are you setting your toolrest where the cutting edge is about level with center? And, are you keeping the handle end of the tool down or keeping the whole tool about level?

Someone was asking about screws, I noticed on that global webpage that some screws for these bits were offered, but I didn't check to see if there's any variety as far as length.

Those are beautiful tools. I love the carbide inserts. If you don't want to spend quite that much you might consider the Woodchuck Pro line. I am really pleased with the two I have and plan on ordering a round one soon.

It sounds like it's about time to invest in one of these tools. I've been looking at these things for a while but was leary about the replacement blades being a little overly priced but if I could buy 10 for $20.00 it might be worth trying.Where is a good place to buy the Easy Rougher at a fair price?,or does anyone have a homemade one they would sell?
    Donny

Anyone compare the round cutters from Easy brand with the Hunter Carbide? I got the Hunter a long time ago, before Easy Company hit the streets. I really like the Hunter, it has a differerent cutter though. IIRC it was much cheaper than the going Easy price.

Easy Finisher (Round Insert)

I was a bit skeptical about the Easy Rougher and Finisher. I am a little bit of traditionalist in that I like the feel of the gouge and chasing a line/curve. The manager at local Woodcraft store said I could bring it back if I didn't like it.

I bought the easy finisher to deal with some dense burl that was jarring everything else. It does an amazing job despite the pinkish handle color.

I hesitate to join in on this discussion because there is never a winner of the argument.

The Easy Wood Tools are first rate, I own 5 of them.

The cutters that y'all are showing are similar but they are not the ones supplied on the easy tools. The cutters they supply are made for them to their design specifications.
    941.44 miles South of Steve Schlumph

TURN SAFE

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Iwamoto View Post
    Anyone compare the round cutters from Easy brand with the Hunter Carbide? I got the Hunter a long time ago, before Easy Company hit the streets. I really like the Hunter, it has a differerent cutter though. IIRC it was much cheaper than the going Easy price.
    I cannot compare the round to round, but my niece and I used the Hunter #5 and the Easy Rougher on a green branch as practice before turning the first pen in my shop.

they both cut very nicely and I liked them both but they were different. the Hunter #5 was much more aggressive and almost seemed to want to increase its cutting depth if we got distracted at all. the Easy Rougher did best if we followed the instructions and held it flat and level.

once we got used to them, my niece liked the Easy better and never touched the Hunter when turning the pen. we were both very happy with the pen that she made as a gift.

I got the Easy Rougher and an Easy Detailer at Woodwerks during their anniversary sale. I would have bought other Easy's but the deal of the day always sold out quickly on Easy days. I feel fortunate to have gotten 2 of them. the Woodwerks folk were a pleasure to deal with and they are on the short list of sites that I check now when I need something.
    Last edited by Ivan Clark; 04-23-2010 at 11:30 PM.

Woodchuck Pro, my first one. I made tha handle for it using the tool with out a handle. This is the Bowl Pro, I have the Pen Pro and have ordered the round cutter. These run around $70. Got the bowl pro during a IAP birthday bash for $58. I love these tools.

http://www.woodchuck-tools.com/
    Attached Images Attached Images

Which One First ?

Which of these tools would you buy first or if you could only have one which one would it be? I turn long spindles or they are really 30 inch flutes. Can the different cutters interchange at all ? I would think not Thanks Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Card View Post
    About 2 weeks ago I bought quite a few tools at WC. I bought a new rikon lathe which I seem to like very well, I bought a new set of Woodriver HSS turning tools and love them to death, but the one tools that I bought and until this morning still wasnt sure it was worth the 126 bucks I gave for it. Well it most definitely is. It was a:
    Ci1 Easy Rougher w/Easy Grip Handle

This tools allowed me to rough the outside and inside of a beautiful piece of VERY figured walnut. This bowl had a couple of knots, grain running like a road map of the country side and needless to say my old tools would donothing but rip out the grain. This thing here just did wonderful and I cant say enough good things about it.... Kudos to the staff at WC for recommending it...

I will post pics of the bowl when complete. I will tell you though that it is a simple design due to me being a newbie with bowls but I am putting the best finish i know how to on it right now...
    Last edited by Mike Turner; 04-25-2010 at 9:38 AM.

Of the Easy Rougher Tools Which One FIRST ?

Which of these tools would you buy first or if you could only have one which one would it be? I turn long spindles or they are really 30 inch flutes. Can the different cutters interchange at all ? I would think not Thanks Mike