Thread: drill press table w crank interference

drill press table w crank interference

I'd like to make a drill press table with a drawer under it. Some time ago I saw a terrific example on this site but now I cannot locate same.

I have a bench top drill press with limited space for a drawer. I like the idea of lowering the table as far as possible so that crank does not interfere with fence.

How do I keep crank from interfering with drawer?

thanks

I'm old and slow and noy sure what your asking but I'll babble anyway. My drill press id a floor model but I wanted the cabinet to so I made mine on wheels. If i need to lower the table I just rool out the cabinet. Pergaps you could make your drawer removable. I never had a problem with the table raising crank hitting anything but my three ball handle would hit my shop made fence. I like to keep my table as close to the chuck as possible so I cut out a place on the fence for the handle to go through.

Have you considered adding an extension to your shaft? I have seen something along those lines to get to outside of the table, and need to do it myself when I get a O2It.

We need a picture here.

You're thinking of this one ?

http://www.cianperez.com/Wood/WoodDo...g_DP_Table.htm

It was in a thread on this forum a while back.

Yeah, the handle to lower/raise the drill press table can easily get in the way. You may have to make a cardboard model first just to make sure. I know I do when I find time to build one.

Tom, one idea worked for me......

I needed to relocate the crank for my home made drill press table. I saw this idea somewhere. Worked great and was easy. Pics here:
    http://picasaweb.google.com/dmshopsh...rillPressTable#

Regards and good luck.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dick Mahany.

Thanks Dick. This is exactly what I was looking for.
    Measure twice, cut three times, start over. Repeat as necessary.

Does anyone think that if the manufacturers put the crank handle in the back, rather than on the side, that it would be better?
    Definition of an expert: Someone more than 50 miles from home with a briefcase.