Thread: Spanish Cedar in jewelry box

Spanish Cedar in jewelry box

First time posting and very much a newbie with this woodworking stuff. I think the last thing I built was a keepsake type box in Cub Scouts 40 yrs ago. Making a jewelry box for my wife who wants cedar on the inside for the aroma. I went with Spanish Cedar and was wondering if I leave it unfinished or if there is a finish that would not 'block' the aroma?

Thanks,
    Marc

I think you would want to use aromatic cedar rather than Spanish cedar and leave it unfinished.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Cunningham View Post
    I think you would want to use aromatic cedar rather than Spanish cedar and leave it unfinished.
    Rob,

I picked Spanish Cedar because I had access to some already and it still had a pretty good aroma to it. Not quite as strong as aromatic cedar.

Marc

I think Spanish Cedar is a better choice than Aromatic Cedar. For one, it lokks much better. Secondly, I don't believe the sawdust is as toxic, which should only be an issue during fabrication. I'm curious, though, why you would want to use either in a jewelry box? Should you decide to use either, I would definitely leave it unfinished.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Sack View Post
    I'm curious, though, why you would want to use either in a jewelry box? Should you decide to use either, I would definitely leave it unfinished.
    Rob,

Request from the eventual owner (my wife). She just likes the smell so I'll do it. You know how that goes.
    Marc

No finish. I used spanish cedar in a jewelry box recently and just did a slip fit with mitered corners, no glue. The box itself is made of walnut and I used shellac on the inside (no fumes).

Any finish you put on the cedar will seal in the smell, which defeats the point of using cedar.
    joecrafted

Any finish you put on the cedar will seal in the smell, which defeats the point of using cedar.[/QUOTE]

Thanks all,

Confirmed what I thought. Time to get moving on this project. I'll be sure to post pics when I'm done so you all can see if I've gained any ability in 40 years! I still have the box from back then for comparison.