Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bible Display Stand.......

Bible Display Stand.......

My first attempt at using a spokeshave for curved work (Thank you Louis Bois for the Record 151 shave....). A feeble attempt on my part but it was a lot of fun and somewhat successful.

5/4 Ash for the legs and thinned to 4/4 for the top. Used the band saw and hand planes/shaves for the rest of the work. A nice quiet project.

Stain is General Finishes Ebony Dye and finished with Arm-R-Seal. Wet sanded with 600 grit for final finish.

This podium goes in the library of my daughters school to hold the Good Book!

Thanks for looking.......
    Attached Images Attached Images

That's what I'd call understated elegance...perfect for the purpose in this case.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

It amazes me sometimes how something as simple as that could be so much at the same time. Great job. Love the color, actually have some of that dye in my garage that I haven't used yet. Definitely gonna try it soon.
    I'm a Joe of all trades. It's a first, it'll catch on.

Roy, that is a great design, and you really did a nice job with the craftsmanship! Nice color, nice finish, and a very worthy purpose for this piece. Excellent!

Outstanding work! ...I really like it!

Jim in Idaho

Great design !!

good job !
    MARK

It is very pleasing to the eye!

Simple but elegant. Great craftsmanship on this piece.

Another outstanding piece Roy - nicely done. I really like the design a lot and the finish came out wonderfully. The curved legs turned out really really well and the whole thing just flows. It will be proudly displayed in the library for a very very long time.

Roy

Now, you see, I just love this piece. Simple, elegant, lines that are "uplifting" and thus make a subtle statement about it's use, finely crafted. Everything heirloom craft should be.

George

Nice work Roy. Your daughter's school is blessed to have you do all the work you do for them. I like the finish. Cal

Guys -

Thank you so much for your kind comments.

I kept seeing examples of 'square lecterns' and wanted something different..a bit more elegant as you have said. It took 2 weeks of thinking about the design before the sweeping curves hit me -- I'm kinda slow!

This really was a fun project and I'm pleased too. I'm grateful the school enjoys all the things I've made for them over the years.......

Simplicity at it's finest!.. Nice job on those delicate legs and I like the ebonized look.

Extremely well done...
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

I REALLY like this Roy. Nice work! For me beauty isn't in ornamentation, but rather proportion. Yes, it's simple, but it all fits nicely together and has a very pleasing look.
    "History is strewn with the wrecks of nations which have gained a little progressiveness at the cost of a great deal of hard manliness, and have thus prepared themselves for destruction as soon as the movements of the world gave a chance for it." -Walter Bagehot

Nice Roy!!! very cool design and the ebony works well with it