Thread: Questiong about restoring old craftsman ts

Questiong about restoring old craftsman ts

I have an old craftsman contractors saw that I got from my grandfather when he passed away. Ive been pretty happy with it for about two years now, but I am getting to the point that I am able, and want to do more precise work, and want to upgrade/restore it. I will post some pictures when I get home so you all can see exactly what I have, but basically what I want to do is take it all apart and clean it from the ground up.

Right now the blade tilt hardly works, I have to use a lot of force to crank it, Im guessing because there is soo much saw dust in the gears. Also it cant get to exactly 90 degrees, so none of my cuts end up square. Plus, the blade is not square to the table, which Ive tried to adjust, but it seems the motor is bolted directly to the table. Some shims did help but its not perfect. Are these all fixable problems? Do they sell after market cast iron wings for the table? Is there a way to improve DC on a contractors saw?

I don't want to get rid of the saw because it is literally the only thing I have that belonged to my grandfather, and it brings me joy to know he once made sawdust with the exact same tool!

Its a 3 hp, wired for 230v and fits a 12 inch blade.

Thanks in advance, John K

There's an article in FWW within the last few years that gives a very detailed breakdown of how to solve all the problems you list. Google it, check your local library, or get their 15-day free trial and check it out.

I'd get you the issue #, but can't do it from work.

I'm in the middle of putting one back together now. I am going to dedicate it to dados.

Let me know if I can help.

Check out www.owwm.org. Lots of great information, probably a manual, and a forum of knowledgeable people.

Pete