Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sawstop Reviews

Sawstop Reviews

After my wife saw the Sawstop demo at a recent show, she is demanding I give up my Unisaw and purchase one. The recent reviews have been very kind to the Sawstop, but my question to those who own one is:

If it did not have the braking system, would you still purchase it?

I can't determine from the reviews I have read whether the reviewers are giving too much credit to this one feature (yes, a nice feature).

I own an ICS SawStop and I've had it for almost two years.

1. I've never triggered the break. I actually find that I am more aware of the blade and the materials I'm sending through it.
    2. The sticker shock wears off. I upgraded from a DeWalt hybrid, so I cannot give a fair comparison to your Unisaw. However, I remember a post over at FWW where John White (former Shop Manager for FWW) had said that the ICS was, in every way, a 4K saw that happens to come with a breaking mechanism.

It is very easy to adjust and it keeps the settings. The overall quality is extremely high and yes... it is worth the money if you can justify the purchase. With that said, it is just a saw. It won't make your projects come out any better.

Though the machine is top-of-it's-class IMO, without the braking system it probably would not represent the best value: just another saw (among the best) in a crowded field. If it weren't for SS, we would probably have sliders.

SS was among the first cabinet-saw style machines to offer true riving knifes and effective quick-change blade guards which, a few years ago, were fairly unique and added some value. Of course, those features are becoming more common recently though SS arguably has the most refined versions.

-kg

You should check out the latest issue of Wood Magazine (May?). They do a review of cabinet saws.

The Sawstop and the new Unisaw ranked top. They felt the Sawstop was in a league of its own - price notwithstanding.

Another nice feature on the SS is the integrated dust collection in the blade guard.

I'm saving up for one m'self!

Quote Originally Posted by james bell View Post
    After my wife saw the Sawstop demo at a recent show, she is demanding I give up my Unisaw and purchase one. The recent reviews have been very kind to the Sawstop, but my question to those who own one is:

If it did not have the braking system, would you still purchase it?

I can't determine from the reviews I have read whether the reviewers are giving too much credit to this one feature (yes, a nice feature).
    If they removed the premium for the brake, absolutely. I think what you're asking is if you had your choice of any saw money and safety aside, would you pick the saw stop. Yep...any day of the week. The only think I wish I'd sone differently is buying the PCS instead of the contractor saw.

edit: I just wanted to clarify that there's nothing wrong with the contractor saw. It's nicer than any "hydrid" saw I've seen or used. I just decided in retrospect that I would have preferred the PCS since I don't really move my saw around anymore.
    Last edited by John Coloccia; 03-26-2010 at 12:28 PM.

Thanks for the fast responses - not sure I have a choice in this matter as the demo spoke for itself, but knowing that the saw is a good value regardless of the brake speaks for itself.

I read the recent review plus the one in Feb Woodworker's Journal, both of which recommended the SawStop.

Note: last year we got all of my wife's jewelry appraised for insurance purposes ($2,000 for the appraisal) and let it sit around. Then in January she took all of them (don't ask me why ALL) to Miami in preparation for my daughter's wedding and they were stolen. She mentioned this at the show after seeing the demo - putting something important off is not wise.

I have the early model of ICS. It has bigger tables and turnnions than similar top saws. Brake thing aside, what I liked about it a lot is everything on it is adjustable. I had to disassemble the whole thing to take it to my basement shop by myself. So during re-assembly I had to adjust everything and it was nice to see how easy it is to adjust the top (no tapping needed).
    But these all come at a price (it is more expensive of all). If you can afford it and will get over it get it. I have seen the PCS model and it looks just as nice (although a bit smaller).

I have used almost every saw out there and lets face it they are not overly complacated machines so there are many good ones. If the saw stop didn't havethe break I would buy it, Yes with out a doubt. I find it has some features that are more convient than some other saws

Quick changing riving knife (now tool less)
    There new dust colection shroud for the top collects almost all the dust.
    Hydrolic mobial base, I move mind sometimes.

The other nice thing is they keep on improving it and make the improvments retrofit the old saw. I don't see this form many brands they seem to be the only ones trying to continue to improve there product and improv the old ones.
    -=Jason=-

I'm going to add to the general consensus.

I just bought the SawStop PCS, and man it sure is amazing. I upgraded from a Jet contractor saw, so maybe I would be just as thrilled with a delta or powermatic, who knows.

Would I still spend as much as I did if the saw didn't have a brake? No way. It's a really nice saw, but not that nice. Of course I'm like the OP- my wife saw the video and insisted. She never would've green-lighted the purchase of a powermatic, so it's not a fair comparison.

So assuming the SS had no brake and no related price premium, I think it's a better saw than the other cabinet saws in its class

The dust collection, quick release riving knife and blade guard, the quality of the paint job, the smoothness of the t-glide fence, etc really make this saw shine. I feel like smiling every time I start it up...

The customer service, owners manual, and packaging are all incredible as well.

Assuming you have the budget to buy the machine, you won't regret it.

I bought the Industrial model for my shop at work before I retired. I regret that it would not alw me to use my guitar fret blade (6" dia,.020" st the last 1/2" of the rim.)

However,it is a beautifully made and very heavy duty saw.

I still have my old Dewalt (Clausing) 600# saw that I bought as my first serious power tool in 1964. It has always been a smooth,and more accurate saw than the Delta Unisaw. I couldn't bear to part with it,so I guess I won't be buying a Saw stop for home. That,and the fact that I can't use special blades.

Man, if I was the marketing team at SawStop, I'd start advertising in Cosmo and Redbook. If I had a nickel for each time a guy said "my wife heard/saw/read about SawStop and insisted..." I'd be able to afford to buy a SawStop.

I'm going to print some of these threads, and insert them casually into her mags tonite... Wish me luck!

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    I bought the Industrial model for my shop at work before I retired. I regret that it would not alw me to use my guitar fret blade (6" dia,.020" st the last 1/2" of the rim.)

However,it is a beautifully made and very heavy duty saw.

I still have my old Dewalt (Clausing) 600# saw that I bought as my first serious power tool in 1964. It has always been a smooth,and more accurate saw than the Delta Unisaw. I couldn't bear to part with it,so I guess I won't be buying a Saw stop for home. That,and the fact that I can't use special blades.
    I kept an old Delta contractor saw around for my fret slotting blade. When it's not being used, I made a wooden top for it, put my miter saw on it, and put the whole thing on wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Patel View Post
    Man, if I was the marketing team at SawStop, I'd start advertising in Cosmo and Redbook. If I had a nickel for each time a guy said "my wife heard/saw/read about SawStop and insisted..." I'd be able to afford to buy a SawStop.

I'm going to print some of these threads, and insert them casually into her mags tonite... Wish me luck!

Isnt that the truth. One of my wood magazines was open that is how my wife found about sawstop.

I love my PCS saw and have reviewed it many times. I think it is an excellent saw in every way. But would I have purchased it if it didn't have the blade brake. I would say NO. It is a beautiful saw better fit and finish than anything out there I have seen. Functionally it is excellent. If the saw was 3K with out the brake noway would I buy it. I would by a PM2000 in a second over it. If the PCS saw was 2k with out the brake I would consider it but I think I would still buy the powermatic. The PM2000 is a really nice table saw. It isn't as clean (fit and finish) but that doesn't cut wood. Dust collection on the PCS is better from what I have heard. But the powermatic has a larger table, a 5 year warranty, included mobile base, and it is mustard. Mustard is the color to have. The uni even though I always wanted a uni. Would still not be in the mix. A PM2000 can be picked up for under $2000 on really good sales (I haven't seen it for that price recently though). A new uni is going to run over 3k. IMHO no way is the uni a 1k better saw. Construction it may be a little heavier than both other saws, but other than that it doesn't have anything over the othe saws.

Add on the blade brake, and to my wife, and eventually myself, it is a no brainer. The PCS is a really really nice table saw that at this point has the best saftey features of any saw on the market. Since it is such a good saw and only really gives up table size to the powermatic I think it is worth the extra money on the PCS. 27" deep table was the standard for many many years. Only until recently have we begun thinking that we have to have a deeper table. Table depth has never hindered me in any way. Good luck if you chose the sawstop you will never regret it. It is a ton of money to put down on a table saw, but you shouldn't ever need to buy another one.
    Last edited by Paul Ryan; 03-26-2010 at 7:48 PM.

Press Release:

"In an attempt to duplicate Sawstop's success with women, Powermatic has upped the ante with the release of the new PM2000W 3hp Professional Cabinet Saw. The PM2000W will sport all the features of it popular PM2000 predecessor, but features an 8ct diamond-encrusted Biesmeyer fence, a sidemounted Prada blade storage pouch, and mobile feet in the shape of Jimmy Choo Leather Slingbacks."

"Man, if I was the marketing team at SawStop, I'd start advertising in Cosmo and Redbook. If I had a nickel for each time a guy said "my wife heard/saw/read about SawStop and insisted..." I'd be able to afford to buy a SawStop.

I'm going to print some of these threads, and insert them casually into her mags tonite... Wish me luck"!

Now that made me laugh!