Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ambrosia Maple Bowl

Ambrosia Maple Bowl

This is an ambrosia maple bowl that ended up at 12.5" by 3.5" from a log I found in southern Indiana. It is finished in home brew oil, then beall buffed and then renaissance wax. I've not found any ambrosia in central Indiana, does anyone know the range of the ambrosia beetle?

Thanks for looking C&C welcomed.

Steve
    Attached Images Attached Images
    When all is said and done--more is usually said than done.

Pretty bowl Steve! Nice form and I really like how the rounded over rim softens the look of the piece!

Nice work!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Very nice and a beautiful color to the maple. I have several Ambrosia blanks that I have purchased, but the only thing I have turned with the beetle trails is a piece of sycamore. Makes for some nice color!

Nice bowl, functional and the maple is nice.

Really nice bowl Steven. I like the soft rim and simple form.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

yep, that's a really nice bowl. thicker than seems to be the 'standard' around, here, but i like that - not everything needs to be the same. and i agree - the rounded edge adds alot to the overall look of the piece.

Nice looking bowl.

Nice work... Pretty and practical. It would be a great slad bowl of the beetle holes are filled.

Good looking bowl, I've turner some ambrosia maple very interesting patterns

Ambrosia beetle

Steven,
    I live about an hour north of Indy. Had a buddy at work offer me some firewood, when I got there to pick it up none of it ended up being firewood. Will try to post pics later (I'm at work now). I ended up with 14 pieces 14-16 inches across, about 16 inches long, and 28 inches above the stump that measures 28 by 34. The pics will have to describe it, words won't do it justice. So I guess the answer is that the beetles live east of Kokomo anyway.

Steve

Just 4 miles north and a touch east of Normal
    (check your maps)

I live about an hour north of Indy as well and I find ambrosia maple everywhere.
    A lot of the silver maple that comes down in storms have the markings.
    By the way, I am going thru the one and only Swazee today on my way to Mississinewa to take the dogs out for a run.

Very nice bowl Steven! I like the thick walled bowls like this. They always feel good and 'substantial' when you hold them.

I've never found ambrosia wood around here in Utah either. I've been wondering if you can send away for a jar of the beetles to plant in your wood pile. They sure do add some interesting color to the wood.

Howdy Neighbor!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Rich View Post
    I live about an hour north of Indy as well and I find ambrosia maple everywhere.
    A lot of the silver maple that comes down in storms have the markings.
    By the way, I am going thru the one and only Swazee today on my way to Mississinewa to take the dogs out for a run.
    PM me some time, and we'll see if we can get together.

Steve

Just 4 miles north and a touch east of Normal
    (check your maps)

Very nice, Ambrosia is one of my favorites.

Pretty bowl.
    I'm fairly certain that the beetle is here in Central Indiana...at least here in the Indy Metro area. I've got a bunch of wood from my neighbor's back yard (tree was on the corner of our properties)... I also know that Marc Adams is able to source it as readily as I can get bradford pear. Just keep your eyes open and you'll see that maple more frequently than you'd think here.

So where are you in "Central Indiana"?