Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So I decided to go to the saw mill today....

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

So I decided to go to the saw mill today....

and came home broke but happy. I've been contemplating building a new dining room table and china cabinet and I have some really nice 4/4 white oak stashed away but needed some more for the china cabinet and some 8/4 for the table. Obviously I don't have that need any longer.

My hardwood guy always has something special every time I'm there and today was no exception. Here's the start of it. Widest board is a little over 14". All of these boards have great figure even though it is hard to get a decent pic of it.

Little bit better shot of some of the figure. His massive 24" Powermatic planer seems to always tear out this kind of figure but these boards are all over 2" thinck so plenty left for me to get rid of it.

Adding to the stack with more awesome looking boards...

And the whole stack including square stock for the legs...

Of course he is well known for really big boards and I am well known for buying them so I had to bring this one home...

All in all, it was a great afternoon at the mill. Hope you enjoyed the eye candy!!

Terry
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Very very nice!

That wide one, Terry...CUP city...just send it to me and I'll deal with it for you.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    That wide one, Terry...CUP city...just send it to me and I'll deal with it for you.
    I have been expertly trained in the art of anti-cupping. Nice try though.

t
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

That looks like some primo stuff and I know you like White Oak. I like White Oak!

I'm looking forward to seeing what you make from it and at the pace you work, that shouldn't be long. Nice score.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

Quote Originally Posted by Cody Colston View Post
    That looks like some primo stuff and I know you like White Oak. I like White Oak!

I'm looking forward to seeing what you make from it and at the pace you work, that shouldn't be long. Nice score.
    This is going to be a little different deal than I usually do, Cody. I'm seriously considering building 8 chairs which I would do before I build the table and china cabinet. I've never built chairs before. I have found a pretty simple chair design/plan that has Cheryl's approval so I think I'll give it a try. Tons of mortises though. Might be a while before you see a table.

t
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Nice haul, Terry! Great product for your project(s)!

And I'm really happy to see you getting back in the shop, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post

And I'm really happy to see you getting back in the shop, too.
    Me too, Jim. Me too. This is kinda bitter sweet though. I really want to build the new stuff but will have to part with the old table and china cabinet that were some of my first projects. I'm sure I can find someone willing to give me a couple bucks for them.

I'll also be trying to convince some of my buddies to come by and help when I get started. I remember what it was like trying to get pieces this big and heavy through the jointer!!! I have 4 boards that will make up the 46" x 96" top. That will be a wrestling match!

t
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Nice haul Terry, it's a good thing that bench is stout! What does WO go for in your neck of the woods?
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    Nice haul Terry, it's a good thing that bench is stout! What does WO go for in your neck of the woods?
    LOL...I think the bench can stand it even though I did learn a valuable lesson when I built my interior doors. That load of 8/4 WO totally desytroyed a pair of folding saw horses! I stacked the wood, went in the house and came back later to find the saw horses flattened.

The 4/4 is from $2 to $3.50bd/ft. depending on grade. The 8/4 is $5 to $6 bd/ft.
    Last edited by Terry Hatfield; 03-26-2010 at 10:40 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

A well-deserved gloat, Terry.

I may have to get ME some of THAT action.

Just started the finish (Watco Danish + Spar Urethane) on my Tall Oak Mirror frame.

Realized that ... I really haven't given Oak anywhere NEAR the love it deserves -- particularly QSWO -- definitely on my short list ... for ... something

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    The last time I bought some 8/4 QSWO up at Alpines, in Santa Fe, it was $11.25bf.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Hmmm

Another nice, clean shop.
    Trees. Tools. Time.

Nice stuff. Love WO.

Love that bench.

I think I've said that before.

Terry,
    Great looking white oak, and a nice looking work bench. White oak and cediper are my favorites.