Thread: Shipping projects: value for insurance?

Shipping projects: value for insurance?

I recently had to ship one of my projects (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=1386046) across the country. When i brought it in to Fedex to ship, they asked the value, so it could be properly insured. I didn't really know how to answer this, since it's something I made. I told the guy as much and he said it could only be insured for up to the value of the materials it was made of.

Luckily, my lamp made it in one piece. If it had been damaged/destroyed, I don't think I would have been very happy with the default coverage (up to $100). On the other hand, since it was just a gift, not something I would ever intend to sell, I'm not sure how to put a price on it.

I assume this is a non issue for those of you who sell your work (as you have already set a price). But if you're sending something as a personal gift, how would you value it for shipping insurance?

I would value it at whatever I would sell it for if I was so inclined.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"