Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reclaimed Heart Pine Entertainment Center

Reclaimed Heart Pine Entertainment Center

Latest project. Price of the TV fell 50% during the time it took to build this, about 900 hours, part time evenings and weekends.

This project is constructed from reclaimed beams that came from NYC factories constructed in the mid 1800s. Many hours were spent removing the old square nails, resawing and turning the beams into dimensional lumber. The wood was all heart-wood, with red, tan and pumpkin coloring and up to 30 growth rings/inch. I estimate that the trees started growing in the early to mid 1600s.

The cabinets are frame and panel construction with quarter sawn wood used for the rails and stiles and flat sawn wood for the panels. Each panel is either one piece or two book-matched pieces glued together. Crown molding was made on a router table with a reversible, symmetric bit. The top doors in the upper cabinets have decorative brass mesh in place of panels. The backs of the cabinets and the TV surround are 5" wide bead board that floats to allow for expansion and contraction. The base cabinets are topped with a single slab of emperador marble. The finish is Watco Danish Oil in walnut for color, followed by three coats of wipe-on poly. Areas of high wear were given one coat of water-based poly. The overall dimensions are 24" deep by 108" wide by 94" high. As a reference point, the TV is a 65" plasma.

Peter
    Attached Images Attached Images

Outstanding

Peter, that is absolutly beautiful. Did you design it yourself, or have a plan to work from? The wood is gorgeous(I love old pine) and the finish is just the right color for the style. I am impressed with the quality of the piece. You must be proud.
    Have answers, need the right questions

Peter, just an excellent job on this! Beautiful wood, and you have taken pains with the details - the beaded drawer openings, good spacing on drawers/doors - just a very nice job!

Hope you saved enough on the TV to offset some of the cost of that wood!

project

Outstanding. I love seeing old growth salvaged wood being put to good use.

That is a beautiful job with some great wood!

Absolutely beautiful. I'm partial to Pine furniture anyway but that old-growth stuff is something really special.

Great job on the construction, too. I like the beaded face frames and the latticed doors. That was anice touch.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

Blog Entries
    Beautiful! Honestly, I would not have guessed from the picture that that was pine.

I can see why it took 900 hours, looks great, I also know how the hours seem to get shorter when you don't get more then a couple of them in a row to get things done.
    Andrew Gibson
    Program Manger and Resident Instructor
    Florida School Of Woodwork

Blog Entries
    Peter, that is sweet. Love the wood and the style. Very well done.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Peter, that is some beautiful craftsmanship, right down to the coping of the baseboard.
    The reclaimed heartwood pine sounds like a ton of work but well worth the investment.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Absolutely geogeous piece Peter. Being from Georgia heart pine was plentiful from older homes being dozed for sub-divisions until about 15 years ago and I love heat pine. Lot of detail on your piece and it's a monster. I finished a large computer-desk hutch not long ago but not that massive so I do know that it takes extra time for construction and getting the recovery wood cleaned up for machines.

Extremely well done and looks fantastic...
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

Beautiful piece that you have created Peter.
    All those hours have paid off.
    Thanks for sharing the finished product. Now it's sit back and enjoy....

WOW, that looks great! I too like the beaded face frame, and that the hinges fit the beading. When I see a piece where all the details harmonize, I know it is because of lots of prior planning and careful thought. The old growth pine sure makes a good impression as well, and I'm normally strictly a hardwood fan.

Blog Entries
    I seldom talk out loud to myself but your pictures got an audible "That is really nice". Great job.

Beautiful piece of furniture, Peter. It certainly looks like 900 hours of work.
    And that wood has some amazing color to it. Well done, all around.
    It’s only work if somebody makes you do it.
    A day can really slip by when you're deliberately avoiding what you're supposed to do.
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe together.

Wow...that looks "majestic". The heart pine really works, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...