Thread: That moment when it makes sense

That moment when it makes sense

We've all had that experience , when after trying to figure out how to do something, it suddenly comes together and seems so simple. Today, after a whole lot of trial and error, after posting my question here and getting several good answers, after trying to put all that good advice to work and still not getting it right, after working some more to get it through my thick skull, I finally got it. I think I can do it now. I got a good result with a shooting board.

The picture shows a #7, a 4/4 X 6" hard maple board, and some really nice end grain shavings. Man it feels good to put this behind me. For some reason the shooting board has been a real challenge for me to get the hang of.

I think it has been a number of things that came together to make this work for me. I'm finally getting good at sharpening (after a considerable investment in sharpening "stuff" that now sits un-used). The importance of the wire edge in sharpening eluded me for a bit, but now it's burned in. Proper plane set up is getting easier and making better sense. A good splash of alcohol on the end grain to soften the fibers was also a revelation.

I have been doing this neander thing for about two years or so, after selling all my 'lectric tools, and this is a big deal to me. It's probably no great shakes to many of you who have been at it longer, but the advice you give here was very helpful to me, and I'm sure, to others.

Thanks for all the help,

Marc
    Attached Images Attached Images

I am sure that many of us have a story of how something alluded them and suddenly ther clouds patred and a choir of angels sang and something made sense that did not before.

For me it was when sawing and I finally figured out what the old guys menat when they said don't force the saw guide it and let the saw do the work. It was a true revelation when I realized that and atuallt felt it as I was sawing. Hell even cutting a steak with a knife is easier now.
    Craftsmanship is the skill employed in making a thing properly, and a good craftsman is one who has complete mastery over his tools and material, and who uses them with skill and honesty.

N. W. Kay

Beauties...

This is a gloat ! Those are some great end grain shavings.
    You must have done an outstanding job on the sharpening process.

What sharpening method do you use?

Water stones, oil, micron paper...?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Casebolt View Post
    We've all had that experience , when after trying to figure out how to do something, it suddenly comes together and seems so simple.
    I call that the palm print on the forehead moment. Been there, done that, sure to be back for more.

Today, after a whole lot of trial and error, after posting my question here and getting several good answers, after trying to put all that good advice to work and still not getting it right, after working some more to get it through my thick skull, I finally got it. I think I can do it now. I got a good result with a shooting board.

The picture shows a #7, a 4/4 X 6" hard maple board, and some really nice end grain shavings. Man it feels good to put this behind me. For some reason the shooting board has been a real challenge for me to get the hang of.
    Those are some great shavings. You must have arms like Popeye to get shavings like that.

Have you seen Derek Cohen's hot dog project? I made one out of a scrap off of some lathe work that helps pushing a plane on shooting board.

I think it has been a number of things that came together to make this work for me. I'm finally getting good at sharpening (after a considerable investment in sharpening "stuff" that now sits un-used). The importance of the wire edge in sharpening eluded me for a bit, but now it's burned in. Proper plane set up is getting easier and making better sense. A good splash of alcohol on the end grain to soften the fibers was also a revelation.

I have been doing this neander thing for about two years or so, after selling all my 'lectric tools, and this is a big deal to me. It's probably no great shakes to many of you who have been at it longer, but the advice you give here was very helpful to me, and I'm sure, to others.

Thanks for all the help,

Marc
    Not sure if I was of any help, but if so, you are welcome.

My bet is now that you are getting the hang of sharpening some of the "useless sharpening stuff" may be not so useless.

jim
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 03-28-2010 at 11:43 AM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

It's the sharpening...

and the alcohol painted on before planing. Oh, and also the plane set up. Kind of a bunch of things that I was doing wrong and suddenly came together. Shooting always seemed to me like it should be a no brainer, but try as I might, it never worked right for me.

Plane set up seems to be just setting it to take the thinnest cut possible. Also getting the blade set square to the sole. I was trying to go too fast by taking a thicker cut, or just not taking the time to set it thinner. Seems obvious doesn't it. In my transition from power tools to all hand tools my biggest problem has been slowing down. I get impatient sometimes with the pace, even though it's the slow pace that I'm enjoying the most when things come together.

Sharpening is such a debated issue, and I'm not saying that I've found "The" answer, only that I've found a method that works for me. It's very basic and simple. What I do is to start with a coarse grit stone to get a wire edge, then directly to an 8K water stone to set a micro bevel. Then it gets stropped on a chunk of MDF that was saturated in shelac, then hit with some of that green polishing compound. A few swipes on that, and it's ready to go.

It's getting that wire edge that to me is the secret to sharpening. Again, it is no secret to most people, but I spent a lot of time figuring it out for myself.

Take a small brush and paint some alcohol on the end grain first, and you won't need Popeye arms. It really goes pretty smoothly, with a lot less effort than it seems.

One more thing, I just noticed that I'm listed as a member now and no longer as a contributer. I'll fix that right away.

Thanks again,

Marc