Thread: outdoor project wood source?

outdoor project wood source?

I have a client interested in some outdoor furniture. She wants to price teak, cypress, redwood. Does anyone know of a good source for these? I did a brief search online and found some by the thousand BF. Way to much for this project. Also, are there other suggestions for lumber for outdoor projects. Ipe?

As always, thanks for your help.
    Enjoy the journey,

Martin

---------------
    Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable --- if anything is excellent or praiseworthy --- think about such things. --- Paul of Tarsus

Ipe is a great choice. It certainly won't blow away. You can leave it natural, and it will turn that beautiful silver color so many people like.

Another wood to look at is the Western Red Cedar. It is a bit soft, but will hold up well against rotting. Here again without any sealer will turn silver also.

outdoor project wood source?

White oak is a wood I use quite often for outside project, i.e., mail boxes, planters, adirondack chairs, etc. Locust is an excellent outdoor wood, will last over 100 years, i.e., many of the farm fences in the area date back over 200 years and are still going strong. Both woods are readily available in PA but of course, you're far from here.

Pressure treated wood works but don't know anyone that likes it and the new stuff, since the 1st of the year, has yet to be proven.

Ipe is great but somewhat expensive. I second Western Red Cedar; I've used it and really like it.

Regards, Joe
    Two weeks, your project will be done in two weeks!!! (From the Money Pit)

Cypress - If you want to take a little trip down this way, I know of 2 sawmills that have all of it you can want. either air or kiln dried.

We have used it for ages down here and I know of many barns and houses in the area that have resisted rot and decay in the mug and storms.