Thread: Door build, a few initial pics

Door build, a few initial pics

Inspired by some byproduct from a recent order at work and Sam Layton's recent interior door build, I've started building a new back door for the house. I have in mind a six lite cottage style door with a v groove bottom panel, possibly a curved top rail. I'm still playing with that aspect in my head, may come down to time. Speaking of which not sure I have enough of it to document the process as well as Sam did, but here are a few pics of the progress so far. The entire door will be made from the dumpster! Its a lamination of stock milled to .600" from 3/4" floor boards, all R&QWO. Not sure you can see the figure on the rough pieces for the panels. These I got before they wen't through the molder. Its mostly very subtle figure or plain rift sawn for the frame parts, but some real heavy figured QS for the panels.

Well, so far I have the stock glued up for all the rails, stiles and bars. I'll probably let it sit a few weeks stickered to give it a chance to really stabilize. Gives me a chance to finalize the design. One thing for sure, it is going to be a heavy one!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Waiting to see more. What size is the door? How thick?

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Reddy View Post
    Waiting to see more. What size is the door? How thick?
    Cameron, it will be a 32X80, 1 3/4" exterior unit. I haven't decided wether to make it prehung and tear out the old jamb or fit the slab to the opening. Each has its advantages and disadvantages. I considered making it a 34" width and reframing, but there is a fairly new insulated storm on the outside, balloon framed plaster walls on the inside, vinyl siding, etc. Getting appliances in is tight to say the least. It turns into a project quick though. My main goals are cheap and stable at this point, and this unit is mine for the price of the glass! Plus a little labor.

The door it is replacing is a 1 3/8" 36" recycled door the last owner "trimmed" to fit (hacked to death is closer to the point). The lock stile is broken at about 36" from repeated kicking; got drunk, forgot your keys, who needs them! The panels are both split, so much has been removed from the stiles the tenons show on both edges, they put the bevel going the wrong way (doesn't close, just keep cutting!), but added extra weatherstrip foam to compensate. The single pane glass leaks around the glass stop, which is to the inside, meaning they hung the door backwards. Yes, glass stop generally goes to the weather, not the interior, just like the glazing on an old double hung.

The best part of this project will be throwing that old door out of my truck at the dump. Probably where the last owner got it anyway.

Holy Cripes! What a POS!

Keep the pictures coming. I'm finishing the doors on a bunch of kitchen cabinets and want to do some serious doors.

Cameron

Hi Peter,

I am glad to see you are building the door you talked about a while ago. I especially like the price of the material... I am looking forward to watching your build, and learning as much as I can.

I am building kitchen cabinets now, and then it off to building more doors, front door next.

It is great to see you posting your build. What kind of glue are you using?

Sam

Thanks Sam. I stand to learn as much as anyone from this build. I've made a few divided lite doors at work, lets hope I can remember how at home! I'm going to try and work in the new to me minimax shaper as much as possible. And darn it, I'm going to set up the dreaded DELTA DRILL PRESS HOLLOW CHISEL MORTISER for the munton mortises just to prove it works. Sort of. I know a lot of people dont like those, but with the slot mortiser my need for a chisel mortiser is limited mostly to 1/4" or 3/16" mortises, so i get by with it.

For glue I'm using titebond III, for all laminations and later for the joinery too. I've had good luck with it in the past. I read some where it needs 72 hours to really cross link and cure to minimize creep? I guess I'll give it all of that and then some. I've done this plenty of times at work and nothings come back, but I don't really know how it will go as I have never seen one years later? With the state of the unit this one is replacing it couldn't be any worse!

I look forward to seeing your entry way down the road. Your finished bathroom door looks great by the way! Just fantastic. My wife has big plans for an entry door with a transom, working side lites and a matching wooden storm/ screen. That's a ways off. Unless she learns to make doors before I get to it?

Thank you Peter for the complement. I am looking forward to building the front door. I wish I had room for the transom and side lites, but major reconstruction would have to occur. I used titebond III for the first time on my bathroom vanity, and liked it. I used titebond II extend on my door, and did not like it. The glue clumps up, and has to be stirred up prior to use. I am not using it anymore.

Your new minimax shaper sounds great, as well as the slot mortiser. I agree, drill press mortiser???

Keep the photo's coming, Sam