Thread: Bunk Bed Projects - Post your projects here!

Bunk Bed Projects - Post your projects here!

My wife and I will soon be adding another chick to the nest which means some of the older children will need to share a room in order to make way for our new arrival. A bunk bed project is in my future.

Currently, my shop is totally out of commission - see my shop remodel threads in the workshop forum. The SCM station is accessible and I can always drag out the table saw. My hardwood source will straight edge and plane lumber at a reasonable price, so I won't be worrying about unearthing the planer or jointer for this project. I'm in search of a simple, yet sturdy bunk bed design - something a step or two above the college dorm room loft systems. If you have sample projects/pictures you'd care to post here, I'd love to see them. I look forward to seeing some of the projects you folks have done in this area. Thanks in advance. I can't wait to see some of the designs out there.

Bunk Bed

Here is the bunk bed I build for my grandsons. Wood is pine. Side boards are made of 5/4 and the all other boards of 4/4 boards. I took the design from Rockler and modified it. As you can see the posts are made of four separate sections glued together. That design provides a square hole which can be utilized for the connecting dowels between the upper and lower bunks. The side boards are connected to the head boards via draw bolts. Let me know if you need further details.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If you got to where you were going where would it be?

SMC's Search function will bring you lots of threads about bunk beds.

Bunk bed

you can find additional details in a prior post: Bunk bed - work in progress
    If you got to where you were going where would it be?

I made this a few years ago. It's really a loft and not a bunk bed, but the way I made it allows another bed to be attached just like the top bed. You can see all the holes that allow the height to be adjusted and the rails to be attached or left off, etc.

Made mostly from 2X4s and 1/2" carriage bolts for the hardware.

Hope that helps.

-Jeff
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for the posts.

I appreciate the posts. I did some searching and saw a few other interesting designs. I haven't settled on anything yet. Alfred, I like the design for the legs; I may be borrowing that trick as you did.