Thread: screwdriver(first post too)

screwdriver(first post too)

I've been lurking for years, finally got around to posting. I have a small shop(10x16) and make a variety of things. Currently I'm working on a kitchen remodel, toy boxes for son and nephew, and a screwdriver set with shanks from Lee Valley. I started off using only power tools but I'm starting to transition towards more handtool work.

Here's the first screwdriver out of walnut. I cut a blank to 1.25x1.25x8 and then chamfered the edges with my block plane, then put it on the lathe to drill the hole and turn down the ends. Sanding smoothed out the chamfers.

DSC_0034.jpg

Welcome to the creek, Mark!! Good first post with a project and pic.

I have seen a lot of good comments on the LV screwdriver shanks - you should be happy with them. Nice work on this one, and kind of neat using handplanes and lathe together on a project.

Welcome to the Creek! Nice work. I bet those will be passed down through the family with great stories.

Ken
    If you can't fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.

Mark - Welcome to the Creek! Great looking screwdriver! Looking forward to seeing more of your work!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Blog Entries
    looks great! I've been wanting to make a set of screw drivers myself... you know the ones that only I get to use and that people don't grab and destroy.
    Andrew Gibson
    Program Manger and Resident Instructor
    Florida School Of Woodwork

Welcome to the Creek and I've never seen a screw-driver with a walnut handle. I do need handles for an old set of chisels though so.. just send them to me after you rest a day from this turning.

Keep em coming...
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

Welcome to the Creek Mark. Good to have you aboard....
    Looking forward to more project posts.

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Mark, welcome to SMC!
    Good looking screwdriver.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Blog Entries
    welcome to the Creek. There is always something special about using a tool you made yourself. What you have there is a tool to be proud of. I think you should sign and date it for generations to come so they know its beginnings. Nice job.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

thanks for the kind words, here are some shots of the finished set, as you can see, consistency isn't my strong suit, but they are plenty functional:

DSC_0083.jpg
    DSC_0092.jpg

Welcome and well done.

Mark, welcome. Nice job on the drivers. Was it difficult to press the shanks into the holes? How did you do it? Thanks, John.

Quote Originally Posted by john davey View Post
    Mark, welcome. Nice job on the drivers. Was it difficult to press the shanks into the holes? How did you do it? Thanks, John.
    I used my homemade wagon vise on my bench, it wasn't too difficult. I tried to use my pen press but it wasn't large enough, now I might get rid of my pen press

DSC_0056.jpg