Thread: Home made buffing system.

Home made buffing system.

Just thought I would share this in case anyone might be interested. This is a home made buffing system I made from a piece of 1/2 inch all thread 24 inches long and a few 6 in buffing wheels from Harborfreight. The pictures below should be all you need to see how I put it together. I used 2 nuts on each side of each wheel to they could tighten up against each other and not spin down the all thread as the lathe was running. I already had the 1/2 inch Jacobs chuck and the live center which I took the point out of. All in all the whole thing including the small kit and Tripoli in the pics was somewhere around 30 bucks. I think the Beal system is around $90. Even if i had to buy the Jacobs chuck and the live center it would still cost less than half the Beal system. The all thread isn't perfectly straight and vibrates a little around 1800 RPM, other than that it works great. I wouldn't recomed anything longer that 2 feet of 1/2" just because it bight bow and vibrate even more. You could probably fit 4 buffing wheels and still have plenty of room to work.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Never go to bed angry, stay up and fight. Its much more fun.

Looks like a pretty good home-made solution to me!! I still don't have a buffing setup, and I really need to do something. Do you think going to 5/8" would stiffen it a bit?

Looks like it will work really nice Glenn!

I know everyone buffs at different speeds but I buff at around 700 to 1000 rpm and find the slower speeds work just as well and I don't burn through the finish.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Glenn:

Nice looking setup. I made a similar setup with buffing wheels from Caswell Plating. Works well.

John: I would recommend the 5/8 rod if you can accomodate it. My system flexes just a bit with the 1/2 inch rod.

I agree with Steve that lower speeds work just fine and don't put too much compound on at any time - too much is not good.

John,

If I could I would go as far as 3/4". The main reason I used 1/2" is because it would fit in my jacobs chuck and the live center I had.
    Never go to bed angry, stay up and fight. Its much more fun.

Thanks for the info Glenn and Greg. I will have to check my Jacobs chuck for capacity and figure out how to accomodate the tailstock end.

Good thinking, Glenn. If it works for you, what else can one ask?!!
    Allen
    The good Lord didn't create anything without a purpose, but mosquitoes come close.
    And.... I'm located just 1,075 miles SW of Steve Schlumpf.

Looks like a very workable setup.

Other option would be to turn a piece of wood with a morse taper and expoy in the all thread instead of using the chuck and and another piece of wood for the other end to fit into the live center, then a larger diameter of all thread could be use.

Good looking system and looks like it works well.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.