Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who builds their own website?

Who builds their own website?

Hi All,

I have just stumbled upon a weird bug in the software I use to write the web pages. The software, "Visual Page" is about 12 years old and I kept using it as I was familiar with it.

Having just discovered this bug which has probably cost me orders, I am ready to go kicking and screaming to a new web development tool.

Any suggestions on what to buy? I am computer savvy so technical aspects will not phase me. I have no idea what is hot and what is not in web development and the searches I have done didn't help much.

Thanks
    Dave J
    Forums: Where all too often, logic is the first casualty.

Dave,

I'm not as "in depth" tech savvy as you, but I used Serif Web Plus. Depending on what you prefer, you can write code or use the built in application tools Website: http://www.serif.com/webplus/

I built a website with it and was very pleased with my end product and ease of maintenance (especially for the $$) Looked better than most of my competitors sites. I'd show you my site, but I put the company to bed at the beginning of the month.

Take care,

E-

Blog Entries
    I use Joomla, it's free. Little learning curve but great help at their forum. Here are a couple of the sites I built with Joomla. http://seantroy.com and http://chchurch.org The only costs are your hosting and with joomla,I highly recommend Host Gator. They are set up for Joomla so it makes it very easy to run the site. Some extensions (add-ons) can cost a little but most are free. Word Press has a higher learning curve and a little less forgiving and is better suited to Blog type websites.

Adobe Dreamweaver fan here....
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I second dream weaver. They have a free 30 day trial if you want to check it out. I am not an expert by an means, but I know it can be very powerful in the web design field.

I used the site builder offered my my domain provider, spirit domains, to build mine. Super easy and cheap. It is for the technically challenged so it worked out perfefct for me. I built me site from scratch in about 6 hours and a good portion of that was just figuring out the software. Super easy to make changes etc..

Terry
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Adobe Dreamweaver fan here....
    +1 What he said

Dreamweaver is it for coding from scratch.

If all you want is an easylife website learn how to install and manage a CMS (Content Management System).
    Wordpress is easiest, and you can (with cPanel) set up and customise a complete site through your browser. Most of the bits you need are free. You can turn the blog bit off and use it as a website; and there's even a free shop plugin for it. It's a very shallow learning curve and wordpress is usually available to install from the control panel of your webhosting account.

Next up is Joomla, but you'll need to FTP for that; and also be prepared to need a modification that costs money.

Another step up in complexity and there's Drupal...sort of Lego for more complicated/custom sites. You assemble the bits you need into the site you want. But you can do some hardcore stuff with it & it's usually for free.

EDIT: Another way of tackling things is sitegrinder...it's a Photoshop plugin that spits out a website from a layered image. The learning curve is steepish, but you'll end up with a very pretty site.
    Last edited by Darren Null; 03-29-2010 at 1:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Hsieh View Post
    +1 What he said
    +1 adobe dreamweaver

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Darren Null View Post

Next up is Joomla, but you'll need to FTP for that; and also be prepared to need a modification that costs money.
    Darren, correction, you don't need ftp for Joomla, you can if you like working that way but I've never used it with Joomla.

Thanks guys,

I like the price of Joomla and it is downloading as I type.

I had sort of resigned myself to DW and am also trialing Kompozer. Not bad but a little clunky.

My web host does have a system available similar to Terry's suggestion but it does not allow tweaking the raw HTML. CSS and java code etc.

I am also going to try Ruby On Rails but not sure it is what I want.

Thanks for the opinions.
    Dave J

Joomla makes it very easy to use.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Adam View Post
    Joomla makes it very easy to use.
    Thanks guys, but Joomla runs on the web host and the package we have would need upgrading and that would double the monthly charges.

Besides I like working off-line with the portable and sit outside in the AZ sunshine.

Plan B search is on.
    Dave J

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Johnson29 View Post
    Thanks guys, but Joomla runs on the web host and the package we have would need upgrading and that would double the monthly charges.

Besides I like working off-line with the portable and sit outside in the AZ sunshine.

Plan B search is on.
    Thats a big benefit having it run on the server. Your computer craps out, no problem. Still safe on the server. Host Gator has a plan for 4.00 a month that works great with Joomla and their servers are set up perfectly for Joomla.

I just use vi or notepad...