Thread: Recommendations for a HVLP spray gun

Recommendations for a HVLP spray gun

I've been brushing on a 1# cut of shellac and can't keep it from runnning. I know I can thicken the mix up OR buy a spray gun for spraying a variety of products.

I'm looking at number of them from $30 - $50.

Which one do you use that would work for a good price? I can only afford it once.

Thanks for your help. Ken
    Last edited by Ken Shoemaker; 03-28-2010 at 10:36 PM.
    If you can't fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.

Ken, I've had good luck with a gravity-feed conversion gun made by Husky at HD....'bout $70.00. During February I shared some shop space down in NYC with some "crazy high-end" furniture makers....they were using the same gun to shoot clear nitro, thinned to 80%.

I bought mine in a pinch when my Spraytech 9900 done blowed up and was in for service, and so only use it occasionally (that is, I can't vouch for its longevity), but it does give me good results. If it's in the budget, by an inline regulator so you don't have to adjust your pressure at the compressor.

Good luck.

Do you guys think a Bostich "pancake" compressor has enough hourse power to spray Shellac with and HVP gun?

As long as the projects are very small it will spray. Problem with HVLP isn't pressure it is the volume of air and a small tank will empty fast and so cycle the compressor a lot more.

I use a DeVillbis finishline gravity feed and it gives great work.

If you don't have a substantial compressor than a turbine is a good choice. Once you start spraying it is hard to go back to any other way.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

From what I have read compressor powered HVLP's require 40psi at the regulator for 10psi at the tip. Many brands also rate their compressors at both 40/90 psi. So deciding if xxx pancake compressor will work for you simply find the requirements for the gun you desire and match is to a compressor that will work for you.

It seems that many less expensive spray guns will acheive a desirable finish. My finex2000 was recommended me by a few pros in the know. It is about an $80 gun, and gives me flawless results.

Ken, what Joe said about HP vs. Volume is correct. I don't know how large your project is, but a little pancake compressor will cycle on a bunch if you are using it to spray. I actually rigged a Y-union so that my two compressors feed into one main line....it worked well enough to get me through.

This is definitely an indian/arrows situation. You can achieve good results with an inexpensive gun, just as you can screw up a finish with an expensive HVLP system. I've had a lot of experience with the latter.

Good luck!

My intention, at this point, is to spray shellac and Waterlox. I have been brushing the shellac and ragging (50/50 with MS) the Waterlox. Has anyone sprayed both of these?

Ken

I don't suggest you spray Waterlox or any other oil based product...the sticky mess from these slow-drying products is going to be nasty.

You're pushing things with a pancake compressor. The air supply is exhausted almost immediately with a spray gun so unless the constantly running compressor can keep up with the air demands, you'll not be happy. And that's also very hard on the compressor...those small units aren't really designed to run constantly.

As to a gun, I've been very pleased with my Wagner HPLV Conversion guns. About $129 from Gleem Paint and a very good value. The standard projector set (needle/nozzle) is suitable for shellac and water borne products in my experience.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...