Thread: Placing cyclone outside of building

Placing cyclone outside of building

Has anyone installed their cyclone out of the building? If so, do you have moisture problems from condensation inside the cyclone which causes the dust to stick to the metal instead of dropping down? Or is this not an issue?

I am thinking of doing this but am concerned about the condensation inside the cyclone.

Any feedback would be appreciated.
    Laser - Universal PLS 6.60; CNC Router - Gerber 408
    Corel 9 & Corel X2
    Hollow Woodworks

One Major Exhaust Fan

I was thinking about doing something similar, or possibly venting my DC out of the shop, when Ed at Clear Vue pointed out, that in the winter I would be venting heated air right out the shop. So while this doesn't address your question, it is another consideration for putting the DC in a separate outside closet.

I had thought of the air loss as well. I didn't explain my plans fully enough.

The only component that would be outside would be the cyclone with a return duct coming back inside with the filter inside. I was thinking of making some type of diverter to exhaust the air outside during the warmer part of the year.

I guess that I am more worried about the condensation making the dust stick to the sides and clogging up the air and dust flow.
    Corel 9 & Corel X2
    Hollow Woodworks

I will jump in here as mine is not outside, but in an unheated attic, so I have some of the background you might want. I have not found condensation to be a problem. I'm sure there is some, but it doesn't seem to affect anything.

I'm curious as to why you want it outside, because if one of your goals is to cut down on the noise level, having the outflow and presumably the filter back inside, you will still have a good bit of noise from the machine. In fact, nearly all of it. If your goal is just to save space, then it merits consideration.

Second, while you will suffer some heat loss by having everything outside, I have found that to be a reasonable tradeoff for not having the cyclone blasting away in the same room with me. I don't run it continuously, but only when I'm using a machine. Yeah, it sucks some heat out, but not enough that I even notice it.

cyclone outside

I had mine inside the shop but needed the space for more equipment so i moved it all outside (into a covered barn area) Then I realized I was empting my shop of heated air every 5 minutes ... after I saw the Propane bill for the year I decide to move the exhaust into a corner of the shop, it worked out great. not as noisy as having the whole thing in the shop but still noisy. No problems here in NH with condensation.

Steve

Condensation is not a problem- the time of year it might happen is when it is warm inside (warm air moving through the cyclone) and cold outside. Generally at those times the relative humidity is pretty low, however. Besides, you are talking a lot of air moving through the cyclone at any given time.

My previous unit was outside, but my current one is in an unheated garage closet below my second story shop-

Except in the northern states in winter and hot/humid states in summer, discharging outside isn't too bad unless you run your DC continuously, which I do not. I recently added a diverter gate so I can recycle the air back to the shop cartridge filter when the temps are extreme or discharge outside during mild weather. One caution about outside discharge- you shouldn't do it if you have a gas or oil-fired furnace or hot water heater in your shop- dangerous flu gases containing CO will be drawn back into your shop.

Original unit: (it may look different because it is configured as a push-through)

Last edited by Alan Schaffter; 03-30-2010 at 11:22 AM.

My reason for wanting to go outside is space. The shop area is compact and I am trying to increase the available space inside. I have already moved both air compressors outside into a shed next to the building.

I thank everyone for their information. I will be putting it together this spring and moving the cyclone outside with the return air coming back inside.

Thanks!!
    Corel 9 & Corel X2
    Hollow Woodworks

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Beachler View Post
    My reason for wanting to go outside is space. The shop area is compact and I am trying to increase the available space inside. I have already moved both air compressors outside into a shed next to the building.

I thank everyone for their information. I will be putting it together this spring and moving the cyclone outside with the return air coming back inside.

Thanks!!
    Space, noise, cleaner shop- good decision!

My previous post didn't include a pic of my current DC installation which is also located outside my shop, but check what is in the background:

2 outta 3 ain't bad. It will help shop save space and be cleaner but not reduce the noise.
    Has to do with the cnc cutting through 1" 16 ply sheets that just screams.

The eventual goal is to have enough room to drop another Gerber 408 in the shop and have room to move around both of them.

Thanks
    Corel 9 & Corel X2
    Hollow Woodworks

Jim, it sounds like your mind is made up. If space is the primary motivation for placing the cyclone outside, I thought I'd pass on a pretty remarkable/efficient island shop tour I saw elsewhere. A retired engineer designed a 6' x 14' island that houses a planer, radial arm saw, dust collector, router table, table saw, with an 8" jointer at the end of the island. Check out his tour at:
    http://www.finewoodworking.com/Works....aspx?id=23974

Even if you stay the course and put the cyclone outside, I think you will appreciate the efficiency of this guy's shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe A Faulkner View Post
    Jim, it sounds like your mind is made up. If space is the primary motivation for placing the cyclone outside, I thought I'd pass on a pretty remarkable/efficient island shop tour I saw elsewhere. A retired engineer designed a 6' x 14' island that houses a planer, radial arm saw, dust collector, router table, table saw, with an 8" jointer at the end of the island. Check out his tour at:
    http://www.finewoodworking.com/Works....aspx?id=23974

Even if you stay the course and put the cyclone outside, I think you will appreciate the efficiency of this guy's shop.
    Thanks for the link, I got a couple of ideas I may use!