Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can you buy a store floor model

Can you buy a store floor model

Sorry to keep posting these questions on the same subject, but I figured it was a different topic.

My question is, can you buy a floor model at a store? As I mentioned, I had went to Lowes, and they said they were out of the Delta(priced at $350) and werent getting any back. The lady then wrote floor model on the tag. My question is, do they sell these floor models when this occurs?

My thoughts were, if they do sell the floor model, chances are, they dont sell it at full value(since they have been poked and prodded for a few years.) If they do, and thats the case, I was thinking of convincing pops to give it a try.

If all of the above is true, then, what would be a reasonable price on a FM Delta open stand 3/4hp 14", originally priced at $350? Because of this, I imagine there is room to negotate.

And if that all is correct, do you ask a sales ass.(this is an abreviation, although the non-abreviated version is correct too?)

Sorry, This is the first real time I have been considering buying a tool(appart from when I was five and would have to have my parents pribe(*Edit*this is supposed to be bribe... was wondering why it looked funny ) me into going to the mall by taking me by the Sears to look at the tools .)

-Brendan
    Last edited by Brendan Plavis; 04-20-2010 at 8:58 PM.

They almost always sell the floor model when it is discontinued, be aware it may not have everything with it, VERY important for you would be the manual BUT you may be able to find it online.

You have to talk to the manager, your father may have more traction than you but he must be motivated to negotiate. Based on what others have paid somewhere in the $150 to $250 range, just depends on the manager. The sales associate will not have the latitude to help much if any.

Most likely its missing anything that can be unscrewed by hand as well--knobs, levers, etc. And there's a good chance it was sloppily assembled so you'd want to check it over carefully.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    They almost always sell the floor model when it is discontinued, be aware it may not have everything with it, VERY important for you would be the manual BUT you may be able to find it online.

You have to talk to the manager, your father may have more traction than you but he must be motivated to negotiate. Based on what others have paid somewhere in the $150 to $250 range, just depends on the manager. The sales associate will not have the latitude to help much if any.
    Gracias amigo... Ill talk him into it... He was saying $350 on a tool is rediculous waste of money... ill ask him to negotiate.... down to $150-250...

What is usually missing besides the manual/box? I know sometimes the fences/mitre guages are gone, but things like the tires and plug/s are okay, correct?(some of this is covered by Matt)

If anyone has one, could you please post pictures of it(particularly the knobs and such) so if I can convince him its a good deal, I can know what to examine for)

-Brendan
    Last edited by Brendan Plavis; 04-20-2010 at 9:21 PM.

The manual will have an exploded diagram and a ton of photos--Delta should have it available for download on their site. I know I downloaded a copy of my Porter Cable dovetail jig in PDF so I could print a second copy. You'll need to know the model number though.

Drill Press Floor Model

I just bought the Delta Drill press floor model from Lowes. It was marked 349 and I got it for 225. I had a $150 receipt from here but they didn't seem too interested in that.

Well, thats got me feeling good... knowing the somewhat depth of the discounts...

Ray, did the FM look like it had been assembled by a monkey with a spanner, or did it look okay?

DP Floor Model Condition

Looked like it was assembled well. I still haven't sat it up in its final resting home. I'm in the midst of a shop makeover. Missing the chuck key and the manual...that helped in the haggling. I've already downloaded the manual and have a Harbor Freight nearby for a chuck key.

I've been able to save hundreds at Lowes and HD by asking for the tool area manager to sell me the display. Also, you can just go to HD or Lowes websites to get pics and info on the items you're asking about, don't have to wait for someone here to read and post on it...

Here's some threads on this subject:
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showpost...25&postcount=7

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showpost...4&postcount=12

And 2 months ago I got the last remaining DeWalt 18V drill/sawzall combo for $200 off due to it being previously on sale, last one they had, and a return.
    Thread on "How do I pickup/move XXX Saw?" http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=597898

Compilation of "Which Band Saw to buy?" threads http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...028#post692028

Thanks!

Ill definately ask pops then...

Question Dave, did everything you got like that, work fine, not missing parts off it(anything that can be unscrewed missing), Did it look like it was put together by a monkey with a spanner(my favorite term for discribing people who put that stuff together...)

Appreciate it..

I just called Lowes today about their floor model 16 1/2" Drill Press. They are switching to the new Porter Cable 15". I asked the guy if they gave deals on floor models and hi response was, "Oh yea." I myself am a little risk averse these days. I want to make my tool purchases one time from now on, BUT you never know. This drill has a price tag of $350 or a little more, but if they would let it go for $200 and they let me try it out and measure run out, I would do it. Darn, I keep thinking about that 5" quill travel.

Lol...dont most have like 3" QT?

Okay, definately sounds like a plan.... I just hope no one else had the same idea before I....

This is definitely a case of "buyer beware". You buy the thing AS IS, no complaining etc.--that's why you get the cheaper price. You definitely need to know a bit about the tool, or tools in general, to be sure it's in good condition. I also see messed up stuff on sale all the time that I pass on. Everything I've bought this way has turned out to be great. Notice that you can find CLEARANCE or GREEN TAG items and then often find a boxed one sitting up on a shelf they don't know about. Quite often they say "we don't have one", but if you'll walk up and down the aisles and look at that top shelf for box/sku #s, you'll see one they missed in their inventory. They never have any good idea what is in stock.

Gets back to a basic idea--DON'T RUSH important tool decisions. Important being defined by your particular wallet. If it's a big purchase for you, then research it, look at one, take some weeks.... surely you're aware that often the research and purchasing of the tool are a big chunk of your total enjoyment! Savor the hunt.
    Thread on "How do I pickup/move XXX Saw?" http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=597898

Compilation of "Which Band Saw to buy?" threads http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...028#post692028

You buy it as is, but question: if it doesnt work you can return it, correct?

From what I have been told and heard from others, it depends upon and/or department policy or it is a mangerial decision.

Some stores will not accept returns on "floor models " or sold-as-is items. Best better to ask about the store and/or department return policy up front.