Thread: Table Grinding

Table Grinding

Hi there!

Would anyone happen to know of a company in the central Ohio area that does surface/blanchard grinding for individuals and not just companies?

I've been trying to find someone to flatten the top of my table saw and it's like they don't even exist.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Chris

Blog Entries
    Try Blanchard Grinding Services Inc2644 Neva Drive, Dayton, OH 45414-5109(937) 275-2292‎ or just do a google search for "blanchard grinding , city near you".
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Remember that your miter gauge grooves will become shallower and you saw blade inserts may not fit correctly. Do you really need to do this?

CPeter

Quote Originally Posted by CPeter James View Post
    Remember that your miter gauge grooves will become shallower and you saw blade inserts may not fit correctly. Do you really need to do this?

CPeter
    And possibly the ZCI as well....

Quote Originally Posted by CPeter James View Post

CPeter
    I wish I didn't but I'm afraid I may have to. When I lay a straight edge on the table I'll find spots where the straight edge feels like I could spin it in a circle.

Also, I've spent a lot of time adjusting and readjusting the wings (mostly the right side). If I line up the front and back edges, there's a lip in the center. If I line up the center, there's a lip in the front and back. Either way, there's a slight bump as the fence slides onto the wing and then again when it slides onto the extension table.

So how much do you think I'll lose from the miter slots?

So how much do you think I'll lose from the miter slots?
    Depends on how much they need to grind off to make it flat. When I worked for Ford, the guys in the tool room ground mine down and had to take almost a 1/32 off to get it flat - and then I still had deep recess near one of the corners (it didn't matter though so we left it). Don't panic about the total amount they grind off - the guys in the tool room made a light pass on the top - flipped it over, then ground the bottom to make it flat - then flipped it again to finish the surface. I don't mind bragging it was absolutely gorgeous when they were done and lumber just slide across it like it was on rollers. Then the plumbers came to fix a leak... but that's another story.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Leacock View Post
    Also, I've spent a lot of time adjusting and readjusting the wings (mostly the right side). If I line up the front and back edges, there's a lip in the center. If I line up the center, there's a lip in the front and back. Either way, there's a slight bump as the fence slides onto the wing and then again when it slides onto the extension table.
    Line up the center and one end. Then tighten the last bolt while flexing the table into place. Takes some effort, but works for the usual small differences.

Pete

Sorry it took so long to reply, we took an impromptu vacation.

I'll hopefully be getting back to tuning up the saw this weekend and I'm definitely going to try Pete's suggestion. If I don't have to get it ground I'll be a happy camper.

Thanks for the advice!

Chris

Chris,

I don't have a direct answer for you but this is a question I would call Woodwerks in Gahanna to ask. I would be surprised if they couldn't provide a recommendation to you.

Woodwerks: http://www.woodwerks.com/contact.php

Brian