Thread: first post and first project.

first post and first project.

Hey, just wanted to introduce myself and say hi. I'm a student at SUNY Delhi in the woodworking program. These are some pics of one of my first projects, at maple end table. Look forward to talking to you guys.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Good proportion and you maintained it tapering the legs to just right. Can't tell much about the finish as you have a lot of light bouncing off that maple and this ole ex-snipers eyes ain't what they use to be.

Nice job with execution and design...
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

Very, very nice. Classic design, well proportioned, and from what I can see, very nicely made. I hope you continue from here to some more projects that you can share.

Hans
    "There is a crack in everything - that's how the light gets in"

Welcome to the Creek Aaron. Good to have you aboard.
    Nice work on the table. Looking forward to seeing more projects.

Blog Entries
    Welcome to the Creek. Nice table. What finish did you use?

thanks for the support guys. I can't take all the credit, its a stock design that all the students have to make. The finish is just a couple coats of clear gloss poly. I wanted to use tongue oil but we were fresh out in the lab I think if I have to really work on anything its taking my time finishing... I'd much rather be starting on my next project.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Hancock View Post
    thanks for the support guys. I can't take all the credit, its a stock design that all the students have to make. The finish is just a couple coats of clear gloss poly. I wanted to use tongue oil but we were fresh out in the lab I think if I have to really work on anything its taking my time finishing... I'd much rather be starting on my next project.
    Aaron, ask anyone on here and they will tell you exactly what you just said. Finishing is an art form that most of us haven't yet mastered and pretty much all of us hate doing. But it's gotta get done!

I currently have 3 projects that I am done building and all need finishing. I keep putting it off and starting a new project. I am spending the next 3 weeks finishing and practicing my finishing on these 3 projects. Not fun, but a necessity none the less.

Oh yeah, and great job. I am building 2 end tables just like that and love the proportions.
    I'm a Joe of all trades. It's a first, it'll catch on.

Awesome. First or 100th project, you did well!

Thanks guys. Its funny, I never fancied myself much of a woodworker. I did a year and a half of field work and masonry and never thought I'd enjoy the woodworking much. I had the chance to do a semester of woodworking and decided to try it just to keep myself well rounded. If I never set foot on a freezing cold job site to shingle a roof it will be too soon. My projects are the last thing I think about in bed, and one of the first when I wake up. I think I'm hooked.

Nice boots. They really show off the grain and make that table look great!

well of course, I designed the piece to complement the boots. I'm working on a rocking chair right now to complement my leatherman.

Thumbs up

Very good Aaron and welcome! Great execution, I love that shaker style.

Very nice!!!!!

Welcome, Aaron, and a very nice intro piece! Now, you can soothe your woodworking addiction will a continual outflow of money for all the new tool purchases!

Excellent piece