Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deciding on a Jointer

Deciding on a Jointer

After a couple of years looking at jointers, I have had a bit of a windfall and so I am going to pull the trigger. I have never found a decent used one on Craigslist, and I am always a little wary on used tools anyway, so I am going with a new one. For space reasons and economic reasons, I am going with a 6". I could probably afford an 8", but I am not certain I could stomach sending out that much money for my hobby, and my shop wouldn't fit one of those beasts.

I have been searching through old threads, reading what people have to say, and I have it narrowed down to the following:

Grizzly G0654

Grizzly G0452 (possibly the variant with the spiral cutter head)

Ridgid JP0610 (the one that has recently been clearancing at Home Depot's around the country except at the ones near me)

Craftsman 21705 (Professional series, assumedly made by Orion who makes their zipcode saws)

The Grizzlys are clearly the best bang for your buck. I am just a little wary of ordering from Grizzly. I know plenty of people have had great experiences with them, but I've read enough stories of people having to get replacement parts due to shipping damage or the like that it just makes me hesitate a little. That being said, the G0452 with the spiral cutterhead makes my mouth water, even if my wallet squirms.

The other two I can pick up locally, which is a benefit.

So, any recommendations would be appreciated. Also, I've never had a jointer before, so if there are any accessories that I should get at the same time (besides push blocks), please let me know.

Cheers,

Chris
    If you only took one trip to the hardware store, you didn't do it right.

Shipping damage isn't the fault of Grizzly.
    Push blocks should come with a new jointer, but I like the Grr-ripper handles.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I have the Ridgid, paid 199 for it. Wish you had asked last summer, Williamsburg had it clearanced for $107 (!!!!) I couldnt get any stores to price match but I was doing it all over the phone.....you might have had better luck in person.

Anyway, assuming you cant get the Ridgid for 199, Id think about the Craftsman only if you can stack a whole bunch of sales at once (10% for using sears card, x% sale on tools, etc)

As far as Grizzly and shipping damage, since they've been known for their customer service, and it seems every shipping damage story ends in free replacement parts, Id prefer them over Sears but not necessarily over the Ridgid. But again, if the Ridgid is 429, thats a lot of Grizzly machine for that cost!

"The Grizzlys are clearly the best bang for your buck. I am just a little wary of ordering from Grizzly. "

I thought both things a year ago. I read dozens and dozens of jointer threads here on SMC and just about everyone of them had similar favorable comments about Grizzly customer service. I bought a Grizzly (490X, 8" with spiral) last summer and have been SUPER, SUPER happy with my purchase. Common Carrier shipping is a bit pot luck depending on who actually ships your order. I suspect the vast majority are fine and you / we hear more about the unfortunate exceptions. My shipping crates were a bit beat up, but everything was fine inside other than one scratch on the stand. Grizzly sent touch-up paint right away with many appologies and follow-up emails and even a phone call to make sure I was happy and taken care of.

6" vs 8" and Grizzly vs other brands are valid discussions. Many folks have strong opinions on both. But if YOU like the Grizzly, then I see no reason not to order from them. They WILL take care of you. My $0.02.

Chris,
    I can only offer my limited experience. My Craftsman jointer (Simpson Tool, now Rigid) is 35 years old and has never given me on iota of trouble.
    That being said, Grizzly's spiral cutter sends a tingle down my leg.
    Gene
    Gene
    Life is too short for cheap tools
    GH

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Bunt View Post
    "The Grizzlys are clearly the best bang for your buck. I am just a little wary of ordering from Grizzly. "

I thought both things a year ago. I read dozens and dozens of jointer threads here on SMC and just about everyone of them had similar favorable comments about Grizzly customer service. I bought a Grizzly (490X, 8" with spiral) last summer and have been SUPER, SUPER happy with my purchase. Common Carrier shipping is a bit pot luck depending on who actually ships your order. I suspect the vast majority are fine and you / we hear more about the unfortunate exceptions. My shipping crates were a bit beat up, but everything was fine inside other than one scratch on the stand. Grizzly sent touch-up paint right away with many appologies and follow-up emails and even a phone call to make sure I was happy and taken care of.

6" vs 8" and Grizzly vs other brands are valid discussions. Many folks have strong opinions on both. But if YOU like the Grizzly, then I see no reason not to order from them. They WILL take care of you. My $0.02.
    I have a G0490 and absolutely love it. Only the straight knife version but, it cuts smooth as glass. I own a whole shop full of Grizzly equipment and have nothing but good stuff to say. Even when things arrive damaged they quickly resolve the issue. Give them a try I am sure you will be a repeat buyer.

Quote Originally Posted by Gene Howe View Post
    Grizzly's spiral cutter sends a tingle down my leg.
    Gene
    That's a new one Gene.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Blog Entries
    Requirements in order of priority:
    1. - Spiral head.
    2. - Did I say Spiral head?
    3. - Spiral head.

I sincerely hope you won't do what I did and go ahead and buy the 6" only to realize within a couple of weeks that everybody was right and I upgraded to an 8". A co-worker got a great deal on my old 6".

That being said, there are a few folks here that have always run a 6" and are completely happy. As to my annoying routine about the spiral; I have one on my jointer. I look askance at my planer when I get tearout in curly maple and others. I look at the beautiful surfacing that the jointer does, roll my eyes at the planer and mutter something like "why can't you do that?".

I have the Grizzly G0490X and other Griz tools (and other makers). I have never had any shipping damage but, of course, Grizzly has no control over who delivers the "last mile" in some cases. My orders were delivered by FedEx freight and they could not have done better.

Regardless of your final decision . . . did I say SPIRAL!?!
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

For what its worth, I have the G0452Z and love it, besides for the fact that it is a 6" jointer. I am not messing around and the next one that I get is going to be a 12" Griz with spiral head. That is going to be the #1 thing that I look for when I go to the Grizzly tent sale this summer. But all in all I have not been disappointed with that jointer. It leaves a very nice finish and blade changes couldn't be easier. If I were to buy another 6" jointer, that would be it. I just cant wait for the 12"...
    Chuck

Thanks for all the comments. I keep looking at the website and I leaning more and more toward the Grizzly. I know I want the spiral head, but I cannot decide if I need it. I'm working on an excuse.

Cheers,

Chris
    If you only took one trip to the hardware store, you didn't do it right.

Buy your self a Lie-Nielsen #7 or #8 and dont look back. Then you will never have too small of a jointer then. Personally I just bought 2 older stanleys #7 & #8 for $80 total. It seemed like a lot safer and cheaper way to joint large peices. I have a 6" "lectric" jointer that has been all I have needed, but I have recently found a nice cheap source for #1 common lumber. But the stock does occasionally have some bows and warps. So I bought a larger jointer, kind of!

I have a Delta 6" X5. It has worked flawlessly for me. I wish I had an 8" w/ sprial head. Just do it and you woun't regret it.

Ken
    If you can't fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.

Chris

A jointer is a fundamental machine to wood working. Most projects generally start out on the jointer first.
    Space is a limitation in most folks shops, but the actual difference in size between a 6" jointer and an 8" isn't all that much. Whether or not you have a 6" jointer, or an 8" jointer, the controlling factor is the length of the material. A 5' board takes 10' of space to joint, a 6' board takes 12', etc. The size of the jointer becomes moot, too a point.
    I have a nice 6" jointer, Jet, that doesn't really see that much use. It's too small and too light.
    No matter what size you purchase though, buy quality. This is a machine that you want to work properly.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

I am in a similar boat as you and still haven't pulled the trigger on one. But I am really leaning heavy on the Griz G0586 8" 2hp jointer as it has been on sale recently. It is at $575 if you live near one or $719 shipped. I thought for a while that I should be fine with the 6" model as I really don't have the space. But after doing a few peices of furniture I have found cases where the 8" would be very handy as opposed to flattening with some handplanes. The handplanes work great but is just very time consuming for me as I can be a perfectionist. So I think I've decided the G0586 is the jointer for me. The spirals would be nice but I just can't handle the price increase at the moment. The $719 is more than I can really be spending anyway. But a replacement head latter on is always an option. Good luck with your choice. I've also had zero luck on Craigslist for the past year. Usually if someone has a decent jointer they keep it for years for odvious reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Requirements in order of priority:
    1. - Spiral head.
    2. - Did I say Spiral head?
    3. - Spiral head.

. . . did I say SPIRAL!?!

Agree 100%. I will also mention to think hard about an 8" if this is a lifetime hobby for you.