Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Deciding on a Jointer

I agree with Mike, buy a good jointer of the correct size, and do it once.

Since space is limited have you considered a combination jointer/planer?

I have a small shop, and am very pleased with my combination machine. I sold a separate jointer and planer to go with the combo.......Rod.

"I sincerely hope you won't do what I did and go ahead and buy the 6" only to realize within a couple of weeks that everybody was right and I upgraded to an 8"." -previous post

I have to agree.

I bought the Ridgid 6". I must say I was pleased with the machine. I had no complaints, well it was PITA to assemble, and I never could get one piece to fit correctly, but I made it fit. It worked great while I used it. I sold it. I bought an 8" Grizzly.

My complaints about the 6". The short table. Having 2" more width is good. Having 2 more feet of table is awesome. Besides holding up the wood better there is a huge difference for me. When working on a smaller infeed/outfeed tables in order to use both my arms/hands for pressure I have to hug my shoulders together and bring my arms in. You know like when you go to a sporting event in the cheap seats and have a 12" width to sit in. With the 76" Table length I get to apply pressure at the full width of my shoulders. This has made a huge difference on long boards.

I upgraded to the G586 from the Ridgid and am quite happy. But, if you are working with small short stock the smaller machine should be fine. Everything I use is rough sawn so it hits a jointer first. I am often running 7 and 8" wide by 5 to 6' long stock and the longer bed is a great thing.

Blog Entries
    I only own the 6" grizzly jointer that I have because it was a super cheap deal. If I were buying new, I'd totally go the 8" route. I'm fairly new to the hobby and already have encountered times when the extra capacity would have made things much easier for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Kennedy View Post
    Thanks for all the comments. I keep looking at the website and I leaning more and more toward the Grizzly. I know I want the spiral head, but I cannot decide if I need it. I'm working on an excuse.

Cheers,

Chris
    Skip the spiral head, you DO NOT NEED IT. Go for more power or capacity or both.

The G0654 and G0452 both have three bladed cutters and only 1HP. You can make due with 1 HP but get a 4 blade cutter. The G0604x has a 4 cutter head, 1.5HP, and a longer table to boot. It also runs on 110v.

I agree with other comments that you should still consider an 8" jointer if you have room AND 220v power. You can get the G0586 and use 110v power but you have to buy a new magnetic switch for it. The one it comes with is only for 220v. All others are 220v. All of the 8" jointers have 4 blade cutters. The ONLY reason I didn't get an 8" jointer is due to the lack of space in my garage. The 55.5" table of the G0604x was the longest I had room for. The moment I get a new workshop with the space I need, I'll be trading up for an 8" Grizzly..

I have the G0604x and IMO it was worth every penny. Setup was relatively easy and those blades were razor sharp right out of the box. I ran a lot of black walnut, cherry, and mahogany through it and every time they come out smooth as a babies behind.

As for delivery, well its been said. Grizzly can't control the trucking companies. Accidents happen to every other tool that is delivered in this fashion (which is all of them). I think you hear about them on this message board and over at Woodnet because Grizzly's President is a member and regular poster on both boards. He listens and is responsive. The man is a woodworker. Try and get that from ANY of the other manufacturers.

5. I have the Grizzly G0452 and am very happy with it. I have had nothing but good experiences with their products and the customer service.

My Wife works in the trucking business, so I would have to agree with Rick that 99% of all the shipping damages are not the fault of Grizzly at all.

Go with the Grizzly, I think you would be very happy.
    "A general dissolution of principles and manners will more surely overthrow the
    liberties of America than the whole force of the common enemy."- Samuel Adams

I have a bit of a different perspective on the 6" vs 8" debate.

A 6" jointer will get you by fine. The dovetail way Grizzly 6" machines are very reasonably priced. I say buy the 6" machine and use it for a few years. During those years, assuming you have a planer (which you need also), build a planer sled for board wider than 6 inches. I haven't built one yet, but apparently they work quite well. Yes, they're more of a hassle than having a big jointer, but big jointers are expensive.

If, after a few years of use you decide you'd like to move up to a bigger machine, you will probably be able to sell your jointer on craigslist for $300 or so... compared to the price of the new machine, you'll lose maybe $150. If you own the machine for 3 years, that's only $50/year to "rent" the 6" machine. Not a big deal at all.

Plus, assuming you're new to woodworking, it will teach you a lot about jointers and what features you want/need. It will make you a more savvy shopper when you decide to trade up. Also, 3 years from now, you might decide you don't like woodworking or just don't have time to do it...

Go for the 6". You might regret it.

8" and spiral is also my recommendation

I have the G0409X and love it - right size for me. Very minimal/non-existent tear-out, not much more footprint than a 6" but big enough that is is comfortable jointing a 10' 2x6, no worries about sharpening blades, great dust collection (I modded the outlet for 6") and decent price for what you get.

And yes the shippers whacked it - a dent in the cabinet that I pounded out and some scraped paint - I never bothered to call Grizzly as it was cosmetic and to me it is tool where that is not important.

After re-reading your initial post I just wanted to add that if you haven't discovered "craigslist tempest search" it's a great way to do a mile radius search of craigslist. (google that term and the engine will be on of the first three hits).

I can't believe you haven't found a used 6" jointer. (Please note, I believe your word, I am more perplexed). I say that because I searched for 2 months for an 8" and found 6"s every which way many of them (photo wise) appeared to be nice machines. I generally searched up to 200 miles, but was only really willing to travel 100, for me 200 miles is the cusp of 2 other major cities so I got to see what other towns had going on as well and included lots of smaller outlying communities that don't advert in my town.

Either way good luck with your decision.

I don't think that spiral head is required
    Quality construction is
    And I have a 12'' and I find it too small sometimes
    And I'm with Rod get a combo machine is space is an issue

Cheers

Alex

In your situation I wouldn't buy a new jointer period. The standard story seems to be repeated over and over.

1. I don't have the room and/or can't see shelling out the bucks for a wider jointer. I think I can get by fine with a 6 inch model.

2. You get proficient with the jointer and discover everything you need to do would be so much easier if the jointer was a little wider.

3. You decide to make room for a bigger jointer, find one, and sell the first one.

If you buy a used one for a fair price, you can probably get that same money for it when (not if) you upgrade. If you buy a new one, you are probably going to get about what you could have paid for a used one when you decide to upgrade and sell it.

Of course the sure fired best way to find a good deal on a used jointer...is to buy a new one. Then great used deals will begin falling out of the sky.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    Agree 100% (spiral). I will also mention to think hard about an 8" if this is a lifetime hobby for you.
    I would think hard about >8" depending on the width of lumber available to you.

-Brian

I was looking at 8" jointers at a Woodcraft recently, and I just don't see how I could fit it into my shop. As it is, something is going to have to go to get the 6" in. I will probably spend some more time this weekend with a tape measure trying to figure out how to do it if I can. In terms of price, it is either 8" or the spiral cutterhead and since I mainly make small things, I figured the cutterhead over the width.

I have often thought about a combo machine, but they are just too expensive for me at this point in time.

Thanks for all the advice,

Chris
    If you only took one trip to the hardware store, you didn't do it right.