Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: senior project paper

senior project paper

after much research and work my thesis is : "Industrial Arts are of great inportance in schools and should be kept around."
    does anyone know any really good links to articles or books or websites on this topic?
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

Quote Originally Posted by curtis rosche View Post
    after much research and work my thesis is : "Industrial Arts are of great inportance in schools and should be kept around."
    does anyone know any really good links to articles or books or websites on this topic?
    I also think that The Teaching of Industrial Arts in Schools is Vital to America's Economic Growth and Stability

and think they should be continued.

I assume you're in high school. Perhaps when you finish your thesis you could post it here. It might be an interesting read.

Google - school budget cuts industrial arts - and sim.

http://www.thevillagenews.com/story/45886/
    http://www.denverpost.com/news/frontpage/ci_14267200
    http://www.connectmidmissouri.com/ne...aspx?id=430582

A great title helps produce a better grade.... and use caps.
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

I might rethink using the open internet and get a more accurate and focused batch of information by using library resources instead.
    A friend wrote this article and it touches on why.
    http://www.forbes.com/2010/03/22/mor...-google_2.html
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

thanks for the links
    i am using the library, but i am only allowed to use one internet source and i figured that i could go through links that people suggested till i found the best one to use.

thanks for the idea on the thesis.
    the paper isnt very long, i think it will be about 6 pages, but i will post it here if it is wanted when i am done

Blog Entries
    I would be interested in reading it. Good luck.

A little derail: Read that article about the librarians and really enjoyed it. The key to being successful now and in the future will be knowing how to ask the right questions. When most folks went to school we were taught direct knowledge-state capitals, tables, spelling, etc. Success now, and even more in the future, will be predicated on an individuals ability not to know how to do something or the answer, but how to phrase a question in such a way that you can actually get the answer (and not get bogged down with irrelevant information-kinda like the Bing ads). I think it's a shame the school is only allowing one internet resource. Where you get your data shouldn't matter as long as its accurate.
    makers of fine reproduction brass & iron hardware

anyone care to give their opinion on the topic?
    i can use you as a quote/interveiw for the paper. whats your opinion on if technology classes and industrial arts classes should be kept in school. and why they are important to take and be kept in schools.
    thanks

Curtis,
    I am 100% in favor of keeping industrial arts and career oriented classes in the public schools. I went to school in a time when The trade Unions sponsored high school classes. If you were any good at all you would be offered a job upon graduation. I could have went to work in a custom cabinet shop as a third year apprentice. Work one year and make journeyman. I chose the service instead but I had the knowledge to work in a trade and although I didn't make a living at it I had the knowledge needed to build a house and it has came in handy over the years.. Not all kids are college material nor do they care to continue their education. I have seen a few kids turned around simply by being offered something to make a living at that they like.
    Just my 2c's
    Charlie

My town just went thru major budget cuts. I'm all for IA in schools, but if it's between that and math and reading, I'll take the latter.

To be in topic: Not all kids are college bound. Teaching real world skills is extremely important. IA programs are the only remaining options for real skills without a college degree. Not only that, the skills taught generally can't be sent overseas. We put our money where our mouth is and provide free hardware for several woodworking programs around the country (7 in all told).
    makers of fine reproduction brass & iron hardware

derail on the derail

Quote Originally Posted by Horton Brasses View Post
    A little derail: Read that article about the librarians and really enjoyed it. The key to being successful now and in the future will be knowing how to ask the right questions. When most folks went to school we were taught direct knowledge-state capitals, tables, spelling, etc. Success now, and even more in the future, will be predicated on an individuals ability not to know how to do something or the answer, but how to phrase a question in such a way that you can actually get the answer (and not get bogged down with irrelevant information-kinda like the Bing ads). I think it's a shame the school is only allowing one internet resource. Where you get your data shouldn't matter as long as its accurate.
    Right, right, right.

I attended a good friend's graduation ceremony at Princeton in 1978. The valedictorian said (paraphrased): "When you recall your years here you will have forgotten the tests, the nights of studying, the exact answers for exams you prepared for, and most of the facts and figures you committed to memory. What a good education does is teach you HOW to learn. You learned HOW to prepare a research paper. You learned HOW to think about world economics. You learned HOW to use logical arguments. THIS is what the worth of an education is; preparing you to encounter life and any challenge you may come up against, NOT armed with specific things you learned."

Carlos

Quote Originally Posted by curtis rosche View Post
    Your thesis doesn't address who they are kept around for. Kept around as required courses? - as electives? In the old days, high schools put some students on the "vocational tract", figuring that they would not attend college. That was the group that took "shop".

If some courses are offered, there will be others that are not offered. So are you saying that the status quo should be maintained as far as industrial arts goes? If Industrial Arts courses are expanded, what other types courses will be eliminated?

Your thesis is not specific enough to be supported or denied by any factual information. If you address the above issues in the specific situation at your own school, you might find relevant information. However, if you only discuss a grand generality, then you must look for "sources" than deal in such grand generalities - something along the lines of opinion columns by some "Old Time Down To Earth Home Spun Philosopher".

Blog Entries
    You may want to check out "Shop Class as Soulcraft" by Matthew Crawford. He waxes philosophic at times and gets a little tedious but overall he makes some good points.

Curtis,

If you read my sig you will see I have a strong machining, Engineering background. I started out in the Apprenticeship system and for many of the recently passed years, I have decried the losing of tradesmen training programs.

BUT take a look at what is currently possible with no hands touching a piece of metal or a metalworking machines. Just fingers on a keyboard.

www. engineeringmotion.com/videos/483/rapid-prototyping-3d-printers
    Remove the space after the www.

The up side is that as a hobbyist, I got some killer deals on barely used equipment being sold off from Colleges. I think hands on making stuff is soon to be a thing of the past. Maybe not in 3 years but certainly 10 is very believable. Currently 85+% of a mainstream motor vehicle assembly is done by Robots.
    Dave J
    Forums: Where all too often, logic is the first casualty.

"Industrial Arts are of great importance in schools and should be kept around."

Saved you a point there....