Thread: Update on #3 **5 1/4

Update on #3 **5 1/4

Well I received the plane today. It is a 5 1/4. Although I now consider it a 9 on a 1 to 10 scale it did have some issues. First the blade and chip breaker were jambed in out of alignment on the Y adjusting lever leaving some damage. The blade and chip breaker were stuck together with gunk and pre rust. I cleaned it all up with WD 40 and scotch bright honed the blade back to a nice 25 degree bevel and sharpened with a secondary bevel at 27 degrees. The blade was said to have only been honed once. Problem is I think he used a side grinder. A nice curl on the tote screw from a $2.00 screwdriver. The overall condition of the plane body is a 10 so these little things are not that bad and can be corrected with new parts. I may replace the Y adjuster if it is available separately from the frog. Sorry to those that have contacted me privately but I have decided to keep it.

Mark
    Last edited by Mark Buchanan; 03-30-2010 at 9:11 PM.

What did you do, go over it with a magnifying glass?>

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Minor stuff.
    It will serve you well.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Talking Gloatable

For the price you paid, I'd say you have a great gloat

I'm sure you'll love using it.

James