Thread: Cheap Blade for Cheap TS

Cheap Blade for Cheap TS

Now that I've got a cheap portable TS, I'm looking for a blade for it. Debating between a 40-tooth and a 50-tooth combo blade. I hit a couple big box stores tonight to look and found Freud Diablo blades in each configuration in the $30-range. Lowes also had a Dewalt blade. I plan to check at Menards too, but anyone have any suggestions?

The most I'd ever rip with this thing would be 3/4" material. Or maybe construction lumber but I've got a TK rip blade I can use then. I want something I can put on the saw and leave. I plan to use this for trim and finish carpentry type work where its a pain to run back and forth to the shop. I won't be using it much for sheetgoods since I've got a Festool saw too. Same goes for precision crosscuts--I've got a miter saw for that.

Learnings

Hi all, been lurking for a while but decided this was a good post to attempt contribution. One of the hard lessons I went through with table saws and blades. A good blade can make a cheap saw cut fantastic and a cheap blade can make a 5000 dollar saw cut like a hack saw. Previous to buying a 100 dollar blade, I always used the cheap blades. One day I splurged and bought a 40 dollar Delta, same saw, way better results. This led me to try to 100 dollar Forrest, again, tremendous results. I am not saying you need the 100 plus blades for everything, but do keep in mind the work currently at hand and let that be your guide to useage. It is very worthwhile to take th etime and swap as called for.

Decent Combo Blade

I've used this blade quite a bit on my portable TS and been very happy with it. I've found it to be a good combination blade. It's not the cheapest blade out there. I believe it is made by Freud.

http://www.amazon.com/Ridgid-R1050C-...0003998&sr=8-1

Read the reviews. Wood Magazine, Fine Woodworking, and a ton of woodworkers all swear by the Freud Diablo 40T General Purpose blade. Sure a Woodworker 2 is a great blade, but when it comes down to brass tacks is it worth nearly 3 times the price of a Diablo 40T? There are a LOT of people out there that would say no... Now I wouldn't turn one down if given to me, but I am not going to rush out and pay $100.00 + for a general purpose blade.
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

In the past I have used a lot of Skillsaw blades (7 1/4"), whenever I wanted to cut a lot of part board or MDF. They work fine and are cheap. You can buy toothy ones too.

Rick Potter

DeWalt

Hey Matt, I think I may still have a DeWalt blade that I was using before I bought a WWII. It should still have plenty of life left in it. If it's still out there I'd be happy to send it your way.

PM your addy and I'll get it out on Friday.

Randy

I have the Avanti blade from Menards for both my table saw and circular saw. They do a great job and I don't have to always use my expensive blades when I'm cutting something I want decent but doesn't have to be perfect.
    Tony

If at first you don't succeed,
    you shouldn't try skydiving.

Blog Entries
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I agree with the good blade on a cheap saw being a good choice if it is the only saw you own but I think Matt may have a very good saw sitting around in his shop. I have an old Craftsman 8" saw that is in pieces that I have kept for the time when I need to have two saws because one is set up for a specific job. It can come in handy.
    David B

Matt,

I recently bought a Freud Diablo 24 tooth (Demo/Framing) blade to replace the OEM blade that came with my new Milwaukee circular saw. Boy, was I impressed: cuts through a 2X12 and leaves a very clean edge...suitable for trim work. If 24 teeth cut that smoothly, I would certainly expect the 40 or 50 tooth blade to beat that performance.

On my table saw I run Forrest blades, but for your purpose, I was impressed by the Diablo at $30.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Matt, I don't post unless (i think) I can help a fellow woodworker.
    But, right now I would go for the TK306 for $20 to your door.
    FREE shipping code until April 7, 2010 is "V0747".

My fourth best blade is a Ridgid 40T that came with my TS2424 6 years ago.
    Just to sharpen it would cost me more than 30 bucks.
    My top 3 blades are Freud LU's.

Does it sound like I just ordered one? Yep!
    Last edited by Robert Malone; 03-31-2010 at 7:19 PM.

Matt - Lowes has a got a new CMT ITK 50T thin kerf that's a lot like their 256.050.10....it's the P10050. Looks pretty nice for $40 but I haven't tried it.

Woodwerks.com currently has all CMT products at 50% off (not sure for how long...could be today only). The CMT Orange 214.040.10 is ~ $32 plus $10 s/h.
    Last edited by scott spencer; 03-31-2010 at 8:00 PM.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

I didn't get a chance to check this thread until now. But I did check Woodwerks at 11 and saw the sale was active. Got my order in and picked it up about 2 since I was in Columbus until today for work and had to go right past Woodwerks' exit on my way home. I got a TK CMT 42 tooth blade that should work well--$22.

Also got a nice blade for my 12" SCMS for $60 and 3 router bits for a little over $70 total.
    Last edited by Matt Meiser; 03-31-2010 at 9:46 PM.

Check with Cripe Distributing for a deal on the Delta 7657. It was $17 last time I checked, and delivered to your door for $28.