Thread: need router bit holders for storage

need router bit holders for storage

I built a norm abrahms style router cabinet with 6 small drawers. I would like to dedicate each drawer to a type of bit..........straight bits, roundover,rabbet bits, edgeforming, stile and rail and so forth

Looking for ideas on fashioning bit holders DYI or buy on the web

Hmmn, not sure this is what you want. Lee Valley sells bit holder inserts that hold your 1/4 or 1/2" router bit shanks. With their inserts, you'd need to drill a hole into whatever wood bracket you're using as an insert for the drawer, then you pop the LV inserts into the holes you've made.
    Other methods, you buy some foam padding and cut or punch out the holes you need, then glue the foam to some wood holder piece to fit in your drawers. I think Craft stores would work, as you can buy chair/ upholstery foam in thinner sheets for not alot of money.
    Or, you drill holes in a wood support piece that will act as an insert in those drawers, [Saves having to buy a seperate bit holder insert].
    Here's a link to Lee Valley, and for one of their bit holder methods I didn't know they stocked- Looks like they have 3 different ways for you and anyone else looking to do this.
    .http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...168,46180&ap=1
    Last edited by Callan Campbell; 03-30-2010 at 11:26 PM. Reason: additional info

Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but I've always just drilled 1/2" and 1/4" holes in a piece of wood. Is that somehow bad for the bits? Corrosion, or something like that?

I just like drilling holes, I guess. Here's a cleco holder I made in my airplane building days. I've no clue why I wasted all this time making this, but I did.

http://ballofshame.com/flying/rv-7/b...g/20050419.php

2nd picture down, left corner...perfectly spaced so I could get cleco pliers in there and pluck them out. Yes, it's an illness of sorts.

I saw someone who used a light diffuser panel that had a bunch of 1/2 square holes. It was the type that would be used in a suspended ceiling. He built a box with a dadoed grove that held that panel.

I cut a bunch of pieces of MDF in 1x1, 2x2 and 3x3 squares and drilled either a 1/2" or 1/4" hole in the middle. It lets me arrange bits in the drawer as I want.

I originally saw the idea I think in an old Shop Notes.

If you desire total symetery, use pegboard! Two layers with a 3/8" standoff between. Make your own *giant* pegboard with evenly spaced 1/2" holes in hardboard with a Forstner bit, for large shank bits.
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Colonial Plantation Shutters
    Start your own easy-to-run business making Plantation Shutters

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hall1 View Post
    Cool but expensive, I would be out over $250 to hold my bits!

I just drill 1/2" holes in 1/2" ply with 3/4" "feet" on the edges to hold it up in the drawers. Light diffuser is cheap and quck.

Here's what I did. The bottom shelf is 3/4" ply. Drill the holes 1/32" bigger than 1/4" or 1/2" for the bits. Take stock of the number needed and drill what you need plus a few more for next Christmas. Measure the height needed and make the drawers accordingly. If you don't measure the height correctly ahead you'll have to slant the hole for that extra long bit (don't ask me how I know that). Simple way to do it and the drawer can be taken out to modify, add holes, etc. Works for me.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I use a piece of 3/4 inch plexi for my holder

Talking

I keep mine in a few drawers and in the box or holder they came in. I like to be able to read what it is and what size it is. Those holders might be nice if they were labeled and you put the bit back in the right place each time you use it. I gotta admit they look better than my drawers (tool drawers that is).

I bought the foam router bit holders from Peachtree and just cut them to fit in my drawers. Now I've got a portable solution that holds the bits securely in the drawers.

how about this?

pretty cheap and holds a lot of bits - not as portable as some other ideas

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/f...erbittray.aspx