Thread: Looking for a tool :Thickness Blocks?

Looking for a tool :Thickness Blocks?

So, I have been watching videos and reading posts. Learning lots of new things to help me improve techniques. Sometimes I see things that I like the idea of, but am not ready to get. After fiddling in the shop I say, hey that little gadget would be nifty. And boom, I can't recall the exact name and or find one.

Today's Mystery Item. Thickness Blocks. That's my name for them. They look like Small metal rectangles (say half a business card). a set of varying thickness.

I have seen them used as spacing gauges for all sorts of applications.

Anyone know what the bloody daylights I am talking about?

and naturally if so any recommendations?

I think you are looking for setup blocks. Machinists use them. I use these (pictured below) which allow for pretty easy alignment for height and depth. I picked them up on sale at woodcraft a few months back.

Blog Entries
    I've looked at the ones Lee suggests and also these
    http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...setup%20blocks

Haven't bought any yet (got to let the credit card cool off a bit) but will be buying soon.

Sounds like gauge blocks or parallels to me.

More from the machinists realm, but useful in many ways ww'ing as well.

Parallels are used to elevate parts evenly in a vise on a milling machine among other things.

Another handy tool from the machinist's world is the 1-2-3 block.

I have the ones from Rockler and use them almost every day, mainly on my bandsaw.

Yes the Brass Machinist Setup Bars are what I was trying to think of. Thanks for the heads up.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rimmer View Post
    I've looked at the ones Lee suggests and also these
    http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...setup%20blocks

Haven't bought any yet (got to let the credit card cool off a bit) but will be buying soon.

I got 2 sets when they were on sale a while back. Like 'em. "Your fingers can feel what your eye can't see" - they are also great for checking depths of dadoes, etc.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Lincoln View Post
    Yes the Brass Machinist Setup Bars are what I was trying to think of. Thanks for the heads up.
    Buy a 6" set and you can cut them in half for 2 sets. You can also use key stock in a pinch, available at hardware stores, but they are steel. Don't want them to nick your blades.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I think _gauge blocks_ tend to be cheaper.

eBay has them. Lots of places have them.

Nearly anything that can be bought as a generic "tool" can be found cheaper than if it's bought _as_ a "specialty woodworking" tool.

The same is true in many arenas -- eg, bicycling. Bike grease is ... wait for it ... re-packaged grease at twice the price