Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Segmented ashtray donation

Blog Entries
    LOL Cigar aficianado's are much like wood turners. They store cigars for years, they take pride in their collections and they take good care of their cigars much like we do with our blanks and tools. Lots of good people in the cigar world.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

Thanks Bill. Got one of your pictures to pass on.

Re. David E.'s comment (via Tony), it's easy to guess that he was displeased with the shape of the piece ("form" if we must). The piece may have been flawlessly cut and constructed (as are yours BTW, best I can tell), but the shape was unsatisfactory in an artistic or technical way. Very much doubt if David was denigrating segmenting in general. Many examples of good shape and poor shape on the segmenting forum.

Been working on "form" myself in recent months. Not sure if it's easier to hollow a log or build one, but it's faster.
    Richard in Wimberley

Bill,

That is stunning. Whether it's used for an ashtray or not it's way too nice to be called an ashtray! Can you call it a small bowl?

Doug

Pretty whatever you call it!

Phenomenal - as always, Bill. So how much did your piece fetch?
    It’s only work if somebody makes you do it.
    A day can really slip by when you're deliberately avoiding what you're supposed to do.
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe together.

Blog Entries
    The raffle was set up to buy tickets towards everything that was donated but from what I understand, the people were debating who was going to win the ashtray.
    Last edited by Bill Wyko; 04-01-2010 at 12:51 PM.

Excellent ashtray Bill and a great donation! I just got back into cigar smoking myself and have been admiring your ashtrays. Couple of questions: what do you use for a finish on them? and How do you make the indentations for the cigar to rest on?

Thanks

Great cause to donate to & that ash tray is a work of art.

As John Put it, this IS a work of art!! Really like all the figure in these segments and the combination of species is great.

Very nice Bill, I like it.
    865 miles southeast of Steve Schlumpf.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Palmer View Post
    Excellent ashtray Bill and a great donation! I just got back into cigar smoking myself and have been admiring your ashtrays. Couple of questions: what do you use for a finish on them? and How do you make the indentations for the cigar to rest on?

Thanks

Thanks very much everyone. As far as the finish goes, it's Lacquer and the indentations are done using a jig to hold the tray and pass it over a bull nose bit.