Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie Question - Guide for bits

Newbie Question - Guide for bits

I have a small CNC router and I am not sure what bits to use for different applications.

Is there a book, website or guide that will help me determine what bits I should use for different types of jobs?

thanks
    Garrick D. Crocker
    Gainesville, Fl

PowerSharp 16 w/rotary
    Corel X3
    Zenbot, Mach 3, VCarve
    48" ValueJet, 54" Vinyl Cutter

tell us what you feel you may like to do with your router, it is all about the applications.

jim

I plan on making 3d images in HDU, Corian & wood.

Also some wording below the image. (some of that will be vcarved, some not).
    Garrick D. Crocker
    Gainesville, Fl

PowerSharp 16 w/rotary
    Corel X3
    Zenbot, Mach 3, VCarve

for 3d i like the onsrud 77-100/104 etc, these can be found from beckwith decor,

vcarving will need 60 and 90 degree bits in various widths and depth (vcarving or engraving) i for the mos part use 1/2" width

on most everything else i like 1/8th, 3/16, 1/4 and 3/8th endmill upspiral

most all of this for smaller use can be found in a woodworking store (home depot or lowes) and must be carbide.

http://www.beckwithdecor.com/index_files/Onsrud.htm

jim
    Last edited by james mcgrew; 04-01-2010 at 1:39 PM.

You can contact Onsrud for a router bit catalog. It shows all the cutters and tells you what they are all designed to cut. It's a very good catalog and it is usually mailed fairly quickly. Took me less than a week to get one.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

go here: http://www.onsrud.com/xdoc/Resources

everything you need.

For general cutting.

.25 up spiral and down spiral end mills.

1/4 and 1/2" 2 flute Straight bits. I have one with a mortise tip that works well.

3/8 End-mills are nice too.

1-1/4" Bit for surfacing your spoil board.

60, 90 degree V bits. If your router will take a 1/2" collet get a wide diameter V bit.

For plastics etc..

1/4" Single O flute spiral bit.

For 3D work

1/8" Tapered Ball nose
    1/4" Ball Nose.

Other.

Check out the aftermarket collets from Precisebits . com (No affiliation) I bought a set for my porter cable router and they are worth it. The ER style nut and wrench also makes bit changes much easier.

Most bits I purchase for CNC are from centuriontools . com or Onsrud. I also have a number of bits from whiteside, and some from amana and lee valley.

People seem to like the ball mills Beckwith sells.
    Last edited by Michael Schwartz; 04-03-2010 at 12:41 AM.
    Hardware - Shopbot PRSstandard 48x96 with PC router.
    Software - Aspire 2.5, Partworks, Cut 3D, Photo V-Carve
    Open Source/Free - Inkscape, Open Office.

i have always gotten something when i watched this video from onsrud.

jim

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_b5I3H2Hp6M

for solid wood downcut is the way to go or at worst straight cut. but the down will pretty much prevent tearout in solid woods. Plus they help hold parts down. for the most part I cut most plywood's with a downcut too.
    Steve knight
    cnc routing

This the video has really good information. It raised some questions.

How were the materials being held down? I could see a piece of plywood under them (so it wasn't a vacuum table, but I could not see any screws or brackets. Was it glue? Magic? Those cutters had way to much going on for it not to require something pretty tight I would think.

By the way, thanks again!
    Garrick D. Crocker
    Gainesville, Fl

PowerSharp 16 w/rotary
    Corel X3
    Zenbot, Mach 3, VCarve

Looks like vacuum on all of them. they don't show much, but probably dedicated fixtures, as some of those parts were pretty small. The plywood was probably the vacuum fixture, and probably had a gasket just inside the part edge.

really fine work

If you are doing really fine work, I would suggest that you use endmills that are intended for cutting circuit boards. DrillBitCity is a yahoo vendor that carries them. Do not buy the burr/rasp style router bits but spend the extra cash and buy the 2 flute endmills, you will be much happier with the results. The Masonic symbol on my avatar was cut with a 1/32" 1 flute end mill. The burr/rasp style bits break too easy and raises my blood pressure.
    I am kicking around the idea of building a laser engraver but am still in the research stages.
    CW Miller
    Whispering Wood Creations

I am fond of pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals.
    Winston Churchill

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrick David View Post
    This the video has really good information. It raised some questions.

How were the materials being held down? I could see a piece of plywood under them (so it wasn't a vacuum table, but I could not see any screws or brackets. Was it glue? Magic? Those cutters had way to much going on for it not to require something pretty tight I would think.

By the way, thanks again!
    I have recently started using 3M spray adhesive for cutting brass, aluminum and showwood. I use a small plywood spoilboard and spray the adhesive on the medium to be cut. Position on the ply wood and weight it down for about 5 minutes and let it rip. The parts are easily removed with careful minimal effort and can be cleaned up with WD40 for metal and naphta for wood.

Guy
    Thinking outside the box is one thing, being able to accomplish what you think of, is another.

Software Rhino 3.0 & 4.0, Corel 12, Adobe Photoshop & Illustrator, Parts Wizard, Visual Mill 5.0 & 6.0, Rhino CAM/Art, Claytools, Microsoft Word, Notepad.
    Access to Hardware CAMaster 510 ATC w/4th Axis 8' Lathe, Kitako 10 Spindle CNC 4th Axis Carving Machine, Polhemus FastScan and LDI Surveyor 3500 Laser Scanners, Sensable Haptics.

Has anyone actually looked into some of those bits? Specifically, the diamond polishing bit they used on the acrylic?

$1,843 for a 3/8" single flute polishing bit?

I've worked with some high dollar cutters in my life time, but I can say I'll go to my grave without using a 3/8" diameter cutter that costs $1,800. One mistake and it's gone. Forget to set the diameter right, or forget to set the Z, and BAM, out $1,843 (plus shipping ).
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Another CNC NOOB question:)

A little help please.

I have just got a CNC router and I would like to ask what would be the best bit to cut 3mm carbon firber panels. I am looking for the smallest diameter possible and I would like the bit to give a clean and smooth cut.

thank you all for your time.
    Machinaria M350 laser engraver
    CorelDRAW X3
    CorelDRAW 12
    PhotoGrav3