Thread: LN quality

LN quality

I've just received my LN #8, #62 and #60 1/2 and I already want more. To whoever ask 'why pay for brand new planes' I'll answer this :

Buy the LN #8 you'll see by yourself !

OK, I'm definitively taking that slippery road that's for sure !!!

Cheers,

Alex

Ahhhh....Christmas came early...or did you just get a good tax refund?

Jim

Congratulations! I have a LN 60 1/2r. Its an outstanding plane. I use a Stanley #8 all the time and its one of my favorite planes. Hopefully I can try out a #8 at an upcoming LN show.

That no. 8 has been whispering to me in my sleep for a while now...got a veritas BUJ on the way and my bank account is hoping it will ease the cravings a bit...
    Last edited by Zach England; 03-31-2010 at 11:38 PM.

Zach, there are just some necessities in life where you have to overlook the numbers in the bank account: Food, Shelter, Clothing, LN #8.

I just spent a good hour in my shop with my 8 and now I can rest easy tonight (aah! sweet dreams).
    With skill and tool we put our trust and when that won't do then power we must.

It's an absolutely addictive beast! So is the 60 1/2 . I am anxiously awaiting the LN Tampa show Gonna have to make some decisions... me thinks muh birthday is coming early this year LOL

Zach, the No. 8 still works even if the power company turns off the lights

Yes, and at just a hair under $500 it's an absolute steal!!

Pretty sure you can get an 8" powered jointer from grizzly for a few dollars more?

Sure - but you can only joint the face of boards under 8" in width. The #8 will accomodate boards of almost unlimited width...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach England View Post
    That no. 8 has been whispering to me in my sleep for a while now...got a veritas BUJ on the way and my bank account is hoping it will ease the cravings a bit...
    This is going to come off as blasphamy, but I have a 4 1/2 LN smoother that I recently purchased, even though I have a LV Low Angle Smoother. I definately love the 4 1/2 and it does it's job beautifully, but have to admit that it was repetative in the sense that the LV also does a beautiful job and it was already in the cabinet.

I have a #7 jointer, but must say that if I were to make that decision again, I'd opt for the one you have on order. While the #8 is kind of apples and oranges (a little bit), I suspect that the LV will absolutely do the same job and as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Dorn View Post
    This is going to come off as blasphamy, but I have a 4 1/2 LN smoother that I recently purchased, even though I have a LV Low Angle Smoother. I definately love the 4 1/2 and it does it's job beautifully, but have to admit that it was repetative in the sense that the LV also does a beautiful job and it was already in the cabinet.

I have a #7 jointer, but must say that if I were to make that decision again, I'd opt for the one you have on order. While the #8 is kind of apples and oranges (a little bit), I suspect that the LV will absolutely do the same job and as well.
    I also have both those smoothers and have found for my needs that they are not duplicitous. The LAS is MUCH better at dealing with end grain than any higher-angle plane. It also handles figured woods without tearout. However, when it comes to ease of use nothing beats the 4 1/2. It is like shaving butter with a carrot peeler. The same goes for the low-angle jack and LN no. 5. Just my experience.To be fair, I've never tried the high-angle iron in the bevel-up planes. It's been sitting on my sharpening table for months now.

I don't have any Bed Rock planes (and only two old Stanleys that I actually use), so I am sort of thinking I may buy a Bed Rock 608 and try it out before I spring for the LN 8. I should build that plane till first, though.

You can also get some free destroyed fingertips with that Grizzly jointer (or with my Hammer jointer) Moreover, since my daughter is 1 month old, i was forbidden to use noisy powertools when she's sleeping.. so that's 16 hours a day... BUT i can use my jointer at 3 AM If she's awake at that time )) I love my wife !

Cheers,

Alex

LOL I can see it now, baby starts crying in the middle of the night....your wife gets up to feed the baby and you get up to go to the shop
    That which does not kill you will likely raise your insurance premiums.