Thread: What to use to re-enforce knot holes

Question What to use to re-enforce knot holes

My son and I are building his kitchen cabinets using highly figured ash. We want to keep the rustic look by keeping the stable knots in the raised panels and rails and stiles as much as possible but some may eventually get loose and pose problems. What can we use (specifically brand, type of material) to (1) stabalize them and possibly add a tint to darken their color? What Epoxy is best for this or should we use something else?

Thank you in advance,
    Abram Godshall

I always use epoxy. Awhile back Harbor Freight had their epoxy on sale so I picked up a bunch, it's worked so far. I use black ink to tint it..
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Sudmeier View Post
    I always use epoxy. Awhile back Harbor Freight had their epoxy on sale so I picked up a bunch, it's worked so far. I use black ink to tint it..
    Tinted epoxy is the way to go. I didn't know HF sold epoxy. I've been using System 3. I use artists' acrylic paint in tubes to tint. Thought a water based tint, like ink, would be incompatible. Not so?
    Gene
    Life is too short for cheap tools
    GH

Wood flour, from sanding your materials is an excellent tint and thickener

The Wood Whisperer:
    Episode 113 - Fixing a Knot

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Hills View Post
    The Wood Whisperer:
    Episode 113 - Fixing a Knot

Matt
    This is good stuff here. He uses the West System for epoxy. That is what I would use.. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
    Chuck

5 minute epoxy or CA adhesive will work.
    Howie.........

I friend of mine used west system epoxy for some rustic alder. I am sure it would work with ash too.

Quinn

I put tape on the bottom side and pour West System into the knot. Keep checking as it will soak in for a few minutes, leave with a slight bubble on the surface and plane close to flat, sand or scrap the last little bit to level and finish.

Epoxy and Mixol to tint.

For less $$ than a quart of West Systems, you can get 3 quarts of good quality epoxy from US composites. Get the 635 thin with slow hardener, 1/2 gallon of resin and quart of hardener. Only downside is it takes a while to cure if it's cold.

http://www.shopmaninc.com/epoxy.html