Thread: Still Making Wood Chips

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis

Still Making Wood Chips

I'm Not Dead.
    Just as soon as I catch my breath, I'll show you what I've been up to.
    Question on this power tool. Heating almost exclusively with wood. should pay for itself in about 7 years.

Any history.
    Used can't be found in this area!!! Don't want any junk.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...6288_200326288

Thanks in advance.

http://sawmillcreek.org/attachment.p...6&d=1257267612
    Last edited by Tyler Howell; 04-01-2010 at 8:21 AM.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

I have no idea about this unit, but it looks cool.

Welcome back. I've often wondered where you went... GLAD to see you back.

Ken
    If you can't fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.

Curious, if you have a Kubota, why don't you just get a splinter that runs off the tractor hydraulics?

My first impression is you don't want to take off that backhoe. I know mine is a PITA to get on. However, I am sure you could rig a stand to hold a 3P Splitter, and just run a hydraulic line to the splitter off the tractor without actually mounting it.

I would trust a Diesel Tractor engine over any Gas engine sitting on a splitter.

Dang Tyler, I thought maybe you got marooned while you were out sailing, or something! Welcome back!
    Maurice

TYLER!!!!! Glad to see you!

t
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I guess bears do hibernate for the winter!! Good to hear from you. Fill us in on all the things you've been up to! I know you haven't been just sitting around. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Don't know about the Northstar, but I picked up the Troybilt 27 ton splitter at Lowes ($1300). Looks incredibly similar to the Northstar; Same engine and design. Although I am not usually a huge fan of Troybilt, this unit works great. To date, I have split 10 cords of wood over a 2 month period. We have a lot more to do as a result of the Ice storm here in Oklahoma.

I have a splitter, and a tractor or two. My splitter is a stand alone gas version that I got at one of the earliest "membership only" big box stores about 20 years ago. It's rated for 20 tons (I think) but I haven't found anything it won't split, including some old growth Douglas fir 24-30 inches in diameter. They all have a two stage pump. The "regular" stage operates most of the time, but when it starts to bog down the "low" stage takes over and it slows down and really puts out the pressure. I don't know how it works, it's all built into the pump somehow. Otherwise these things are really simple and there's hardly anything to go wrong with them. I change the oil in the engine in mine occasionally and it's always good to go. It only gets used about four times a year or so, but I have never had any problems with it.

I wouldn't go with a 3 point model because (1) you have to take what ever is on the tractor off, and backhoes are probably the biggest PITA of any 3 point attachmeht; (2) I use the tractor all the time while I'm splitting for moving logs and slash, hauling split wood, and so on. The splitter just stays where it is and keeps working while the tractor is doing something else (assuming you have someone else to run the tractor or splitter) and (3) you can loan the splitter to your brother in law without having to also loan him your $15,000 tractor. It's a lot easier to hitch a gas splitter up to a hitch ball than it is to find a 20 foot tandem axle trailer and something to tow it....

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Thanks Gents,

My first attempt was to build one. I've been taking some welding classes but that and fabrication are fine arts & high skills.
    The next was to do the 3 pt hitch thing. I did not want to increase my cylinder index. I would need a pto pump and fluid reservoir of about 8 gallons and end up costing about the same as a free standing unit. Kabota's 3 cyl, 24 hp engine is far more efficient and cleaner operating than the small Honda
    Frankly I won't be loaning this or any other power tool without me in tow.
    The tractor is constantly used during the splitting process to jockey the big ones into place and move finished product to its final destination.

All of the suppliers talked me out of it for the above reasons.

So this looks like the avenue. It is still fun and practical in my area to cut, buck & split wood.
    Wood heats 4 times.

The pic is what I did on my BDay this year. Tried my hand at TIG & MIG too.
    No gloats yet.

Thanks
    I'm going to keep pushing.
    PS. I drop and attach that BH every chance I get just for the practice. Getting pretty good!!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tyler Howell; 04-01-2010 at 7:57 PM.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/